Valve Stem issue

/ Valve Stem issue #1  

KTurner

Gold Member
I noticed the left rear tire had a slight wrinkle at the bottom after mowing yesterday. I went to check the pressure and a steady stream of fluid came out as soon as I took off the cap. I already had the valve stem at the top, as I knew the tires were filled with some sort of fluid. I tried to tighten the internals of the valve stem, and that helped for about 3 seconds. I'm going to jack up that corner of the tractor, with the valve stem at the top, and replace the valve stem internals.

Will any valve stem from the auto parts store work, or does it take something special? I'm not sure what type of fluid is in the tires. What came out was clear. The only smell was the old stagnant tire air smell. This is on a Ford/NH 3230 with Goodyear Dynatorque II 12.4-28's.

Keith

/ Valve Stem issue #2  
I can't help you directly with the internals question but I do know that if you have filled tires you should use an all brass valve stem. This is because of a problem with adhesives used in the rubber valve stems being softened by some tire fillers. I don't know if the core, or inards as you call them, of a brass stem are any different than the inards of a rubber stem but you could check that.

Last edited:
   / Valve Stem issue #3  
Do you have tubes in your tires. If the liquid is clear, it could be calcium or salt water. Does it have a salty taste?

Most tires with caclium, or salt have tubes inside as the chemicals are very corrosive.

Lot's of people in southern USA use just plain nwater as it doesn't freeze there often, or for more than a couple days.

Lot's of people use a methanol mix also, and that would be clear also(IIRC).

Some tractor tires appear to be tubeless...........although they actually have tubes.........that's why I'm asking the questions.

/ Valve Stem issue
Do you have tubes in your tires.

The valve stem looks like it is sandwhiched on the wheel as there are external threads and a threaded ring, so I believe it is tubeless.

I think I'm going to catch a small amount of the fluid and stick it in the freezer to see if it freezes. I'm in southeast VA and we see temps in the 20s in winter, occasionally in the teens. The fluid was likely installed by the local Ford/NH dealer when it was bought new by my wifes grandfather in (I think) the early 90s.

Keith

/ Valve Stem issue #5  
Buy a tubeless valve stem and put the new core in your stem. If it works you are good to go. Add some air or if you have a water adapter you could add water. Just be sure the stem is at the top when you add water so you can bleed off air as needed.:thumbsup: