Buying Advice 3pt. hitch post pounders

/ 3pt. hitch post pounders #1  

SuperDaveFSJ

Tractor
McCormick
i have a new CT47HST McCormick , and want to get a post pounder for it . any ideas which brands are available in Canada that will fit it . also which would be the best buy . thanks for your input.....dave

/ 3pt. hitch post pounders #2  
i have a new CT47HST McCormick , and want to get a post pounder for it . any ideas which brands are available in Canada that will fit it . also which would be the best buy . thanks for your input.....dave

I have a Shaver HD8 post driver. I use it a few times a year. Driving posts in my opinion is the only way to install fence posts. Around here we have a window in the spring and fall to drive posts with these smaller drivers. Once the ground dries and hardens it is near impossible to drive any posts with my HD8 unless I am down near the creek. I have no experience with any other brands of drivers.

I purchased my well used driver at an auction a few years ago and basically rebuild it. At the time the local dealers wanted around $4000+ for the Shaver HD8 or the Worksaver equivalent. Kencove in Pennsylvania wanted around $1600 or so with the 3pth mounting kit. I see they are now just over $2100 with the 3pth mounting kit. I have not priced them in a few years but think if I was to buy one new today I would shop in the USA and have it shipped unless your local dealer had them reasonably priced.

Shaver Post Drivers

Kencove Post Driver PD8 Each

/ 3pt. hitch post pounders #3  
I also have a Shaver HD8. I was well satisfied with it's performance. I'd advise springing for the full hydraulic model, that tilts fore and aft, and sideways. Sure makes it a lot easier to plumb the driver,and post. I used a pocket torpedo level to keep things pretty well plumb when driving.

We here also have that window to drive posts. In dry ground a 5 inch post just bounces. After 20 licks of this, the post started having chunks break out... Live and learn... In suitable earth, it will go like it has eyes.

Kencove also handles replacement springs, for about half what a Shaver dealer wants.

/ 3pt. hitch post pounders #4  
Shaver is the preferred post driver for many people and they've made them for many years using the same proven design. Check out the different models on our site here. Everything Attachments ships to Canada all the time and will be glad to provide you with a quote. Give us a call or email.

/ 3pt. hitch post pounders #5  
Dave - Take a look at Wheatheart to see if there is one to match your budget and purpose. I believe they are a Canadian company with a good reputation....Cheers, Gary