Tractor Sizing Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #1  

cobracnvt

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 and 345
New member here, have been reading this great site for a while. This question may have been answered in another thread, but I wasn't able to find it.

I have an opportunity to buy a used John Deere 3320 with turf tires that has it's rear tires filled. I'm interested in the 3320 tractor for winter snow removal and a few projects around the yard. It would great if I could use it to mow the lawn as well, but I am concerned that it's weight would end up ruining the lawn.

I assume a tractor of this size is really more for field mowing versus mowing the nice lawn around your house. The tractor is in great condition so it is difficult to pass it up. I would consider adding a belly mower or a rear finish mower to it for mowing.

Does anyone here use their 3320 for mowing nice lawns?

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #2  
New member here, have been reading this great site for a while. This question may have been answered in another thread, but I wasn't able to find it.

I have an opportunity to buy a used John Deere 3320 with turf tires that has it's rear tires filled. I'm interested in the 3320 tractor for winter snow removal and a few projects around the yard. It would great if I could use it to mow the lawn as well, but I am concerned that it's weight would end up ruining the lawn.

I assume a tractor of this size is really more for field mowing versus mowing the nice lawn around your house. The tractor is in great condition so it is difficult to pass it up. I would consider adding a belly mower or a rear finish mower to it for mowing.

Welcome to TBN!!!

Well, I use a Deere 4400 (same size as the 3320 with w few more HP) to mow my lawn...but I'm not worried about a "Lawn and Garden" type lawn.
If your lawn is flat and you don't make sharp turns (especially if in 4WD), I think you'd be OK. You do want to stay off wet grass.

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #3  
It depends on the size of the lawn and how wet it gets. The turf tires make a huge difference of course. It weighs 3000 pounds. My 2720 has the same hp and can run the same mower but weighs 1000 pounds less. I had a 3320 and the 2720 at the same time and there were some wet areas I could take the 27 but not the 33. Of course, i've buried both of them too ;-)

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn
Thanks for the quick replies.

The land is pretty dry due to most of it having a slight grade to it, so water doesn't settle anywhere. The tires are already loaded so I'm guessing it will weigh close to 4000 lbs after the mower deck is added as well.

I was wondering more about the overall cutting performance of the tractor and if the grass recovers after the tractor rolls over it several times?

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #5  
What do you cut grass with now? You can alway's find room for two machines. Welcome to TBN.:tractor:

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #6  
Thanks for the quick replies.

The land is pretty dry due to most of it having a slight grade to it, so water doesn't settle anywhere. The tires are already loaded so I'm guessing it will weigh close to 4000 lbs after the mower deck is added as well.

I was wondering more about the overall cutting performance of the tractor and if the grass recovers after the tractor rolls over it several times?

Depending in the soil type, it may leave impressions...they're gone in a day.
Since you wrote you had a "slight slope", you might want to use 4WD...those turfs will slip if the grass is the least bit wet.

Since murphy1244 brought it up...what do you use now? I mow with the 4400 now because that's what I have...and there's a couple areas I couldn't mow with a lawn tractor (too steep...I back down with the 4400/RFM). But if I had a lawn tractor too, that's what I'd use for most of the lawn.

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #7  
I use a 3520 to mow my lawn with r-4's. If the grass is dry I have no problems. You will be amazed at how close it will trim being a large tractor. The turning radius is very tight. My tires aren't loaded and I never have to use 4wd in the yard. It really makes fast work of large yards. Just my 2cents.

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn
I have a 15 year old 345. It doesn't have anything wrong with it, but I'm sure it will eventually and would like to get something with 4 wheel drive. I have also caught the "I want a new tractor" bug. I really do not have the exta storage space for two tractors, so I need to be able to mow with whatever I get.

I was actually shopping for a new 1026 or 2520 and ran across this used 2005 3320 with 900 hours on it. It's in great condition, less money than the 1026/2520 and a lot more tractor. Its overkill for my needs, but that's good, right? ;-)

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #9  
Its overkill for my needs, but that's good, right? ;-)

There was a thread a while back asking who had the most tractor on the smallest property.
I have a 35 HP Deere for 2.5 acres, so I thought I'd be near the top...not even close.
So, considering all your needs/tasks, the 3320 would be OK.

/ Is a John Deere 3320 too big for mowing a nice lawn #10  

I have a 3120 with a 60" 7 iron mmm that I use to mow around 4 acres of yard. It has the R4 tires and I am on gravel ground so for the most part I dont leave any marks. If we get alot of rain I just wait a day to mow. The tractor does have a tight turning radius for its size. I also use it to plow/snow blow 200' of driveway. As far as your question on the 3320, I am awaiting a new cabbed 3320 to arrive next week which will take the place of the 3120.