3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today

/ 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today

Today I made a 2 hour drive to pick up my new to me Shaver SC50 3 point hitch stump grinder (stumpbuster as Shaver calls it) :thumbsup:

It was used, no idea what year but I know it's newer than an '05, and in very good condition. It doesn't look like it's had much use and doesn't appear to have sat out in the sun all it's life. They're are a couple of bad parts that did not allow me to give it a test run today. The major one, is that the QD fittings on the 4 hoses are the wrong style for my tractor remotes, so I have to go buy 4 new male QD fittings to put on the hoses. The second thing is that out of the 25 teeth on the stumpgrinder, 8 of them were chipped or broken. I imagine the original owner wasn't too careful about rocks in the way. It seems that 13 of the 25 teeth do most of the cutting, so today, I swapped out the 8 bad ones with 8 of the good ones, and put the bad ones in the locations that barely do any cutting, however I want to buy replacement teeth for these.

I also went through the stump grinder and greased the only 3 grease points it has, and double checked all the bolts on the teeth, some were loose. I'm going to buy some new gear oil for it and change that out in the near future, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get the fittings I need and give it a test run.

The stumpgrinder appears to be the exact same model as the Woods SG100 unit that Pclausen just bought (thanks for the information over PM's Peter!) so I think it should be easy to get parts for it if needed in the future. Shaver specs show it is rated for a 35-100hp PTO tractor and either Cat 1 or Cat 2 three point hitch. It had the Cat 2 pins in it but the dealer threw in the Cat 1 pins I would need, so I changed those out today as well. My tractor is only 39 hp at the PTO and I'm curious to see how it handles such a large stumpgrinder.

I know I remember seeing a thread on buying aftermarket replacement teeth, rather than the $40/tooth price that Woods wants, but can't seem to find that thread, anyone know what it was called?

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve that knows what toy he is getting, but just can't play with it yet!

edit: Having some trouble posting pics

/ 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today
Here are a few pics of the new toy.

Attachments

• image-3612267640.jpg
    image-3612267640.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 1,208
  • image-1947282452.jpg
    image-1947282452.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 1,931
  • image-493574970.jpg
    image-493574970.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 990
  • image-4081902899.jpg
    image-4081902899.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 1,301
  • image-626476366.jpg
    image-626476366.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 1,721
  • image-3326481155.jpg
    image-3326481155.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 1,616
  • image-1540312177.jpg
    image-1540312177.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 765
  • image-4018927414.jpg
    image-4018927414.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 1,318
   / 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today #3  
Re: 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today

very nice... a grinder is on my to get list....
Can I ask what you had to pay for it?

/ 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today #4  
Did it come with a dozen eggs and the coffee? Or did you do what my wife says I do? Return 4 hrs later after leaving to buy eggs and surprise! "honey look what I found next to the egg store !" Of course, my wife would have suspected something when I hooked up the trailer to "go and get some eggs". The grinder appears to be secured well to the trailer, but without appropriate tie downs I would have worried about loosing the eggs during the ride home. Not to mention I would suspect the ride on my trailer rough enough to break the eggs. Boy, you could bet my wife wouldn't let me forget it if when I got home an egg was broken!

/ 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today #5  
Re: 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today

That is SWEET.
Hope you can get out and make a few $ with it!

Last edited:
   / 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today #6  

Very nice!

I see yours also have hydraulic hoses that seem to be way to long. You might considder marking the hoses at the correct length for where your remotes are, and then take the hoses with you and have them trim them and put the correct fittings on. This way you will have just the right length hoses and perhaps fewer adapters that you would otherwise need.

I'll have to find the time to get mine hooked up sometime this week/weekend so we can compare performance.

What kind and size stumps will you be working with? I have a mix of pine, poplar and hardwood. The poplar stumps I have are by far the largets. That stuff grows like weed around here.

/ 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today
Sackett2 said:
very nice... a grinder is on my to get list....
Can I ask what you had to pay for it?

Sackett,
I saw the ad for the stump grinder on Craigslist asking $2500. It was posted at 11am and I called that evening with no answer. The next morning I called at 8am and told him I would buy it sight unseen for the full price. I was surprised to hear that it was a tractor sales place because I thought that sounded cheap.
When I got to the place the guy told said to me:
"see that trencher attachment over there?"
"yup"
"we mixed up the prices in the adds and THAT's the one we were supposed to ask 2500 for"

So they basically posted it for the wrong price but still honored it since we made an agreement, or so they said anyways :)

Peter,
I have mostly Eastern White Pine varying anywhere from 4"-30" with most being in the middle somewhere. I do have mixed hardwoods but for now will only be cutting down the smaller ones up to 12" or so.

Good idea about the hoses, they are certainly pretty long.

As far as the eggs go, we stopped at a store for coffee and they were selling fresh eggs so I couldn't turn them down, just finished eating some of em. It's amazing the difference fresh eggs make. I'm jealous of you guys with your own laying hens. And oh ya, the wife certainly would have suspected something if I hooked up the trailer and said I was going out for eggs. :)

As far as making money with it, I'll probably try to get some side jobs here and there but mostly it's for my own land, I just couldn't pass it up.

My master plan to to buy a larger tractor in the next couple years and therefor I'm buying implements that are a tad on the large size for mine, with hopes of them fitting great in the next tractor.

Hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow, today is a raw and rainy day, more of a whiskey day than a working day :)

/ 3 point beast of a STUMPGRINDER checked off my "attachments to buy" list today #9  

"we mixed up the prices in the adds and THAT's the one we were supposed to ask 2500 for"

So they basically posted it for the wrong price but still honored it since we made an agreement, or so they said anyways :)
I was gonna say. Given the almost new condition of the unit, that was an awesome deal!

As far as side jobs, I do have a few already lined up, but like you, I mostly got it for my own use. I know most outfits change like $3 per inch or something like that. I think I'm going to charge a flat $50 hour fee in the local area.

Interested in locating a cheap source for replacement teeth as well. I got a lot of rock around here.

Peter,
Not sure what rates are like in your area but around here that would be a pretty low rate, I would think closer to $80 an hour with a 2 hr minimum or something to that effect.
Do you earn a living with your tractor or is it more of a side business?

I know for a fact I remember seeing a thread on sourcing teeth from somewhere aftermarket, I just can't seem to find it again. I know it was around $13 per tooth at whatever the site was. I just called my dealer and they quoted $55 per tooth!

I'll let you know if I find anything, I'm gonna try Bailey's to see if they have anything, I know they have a lot of teeth for similar equipment.