Wisconsin V-4

/ Wisconsin V-4 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for one of these with the electronic ignition system?
I got into one today, and somebody has been there ahead of me. When I got to it, the module inside the distributor was wired directly across the coil, and the machine has NO spark.

/ Wisconsin V-4
Franz, when I saw the subject on your post, I got real excited. I have a 1948 Hyster Fork Lift out back in poor condition, and it's powered by an air-cooled Wisconsin V4. I thought, "Oh boy, someone is posting something that will help me..." Except they didn't have electronic ignition in 1948... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Some day I'm gonna restore that thing - it hasn't run for about 2 years, but it worked great (except for the brakes) when we were using it.

Please ignore my feeble hijack and someone answer Franz' question.

/ Wisconsin V-4 #4  
Some where about the time your Wisconson was new, we had a Case wire hand tie hay baler with a V4 Wisconson. At times on hot days when the hay was dry, it would collect enough chaff on the intake fan screen that the engine would get so hot, it would litterally slow and die. We would wait 10 or 15 minutes after cleaning the intake screen and crank it again. This must have happened a dozen times. When the baler wore out, I took the Wisconson from it, mounted it on a frame with a surplus generator and made a portable arc welder. I rigged a car starter button on the stinger connected to a starter selenoid to the throttle. When I was ready to strike an arc, I would press the starter button, it would open against the governor and start a beautiful arc easily. If I was welding on extreemly heavy metal, that engine would lug down till it would loose the arc. I sold it to another farmer when I left Iowa in '56 and the last time I spoke with him, it was still welding up a storm. I think it took more abuse than a timex and it still kept on ticking.

/ Wisconsin V-4 #5  
Franz, Thats the motor thats in my Zamboni! I have a wiring diagram in the owners book for one. But it is from 1968. If it will be of help I can scan you a copy of it and email it to you.

/ Wisconsin V-4
Von, does your Zamboni have points or the Pertronix (useless company) solid state ignition?
I need the diagram for the solid state piece of crap, and Pertronix won't do a dam thing to be helpful. I'm sure the new kit does come with a wiring diagram, but I don't intend to buy the dam kit till I get information. I really hate Pertronix.

/ Wisconsin V-4 #7  
Franz, Sorry but mine has points. I guess its too old for the solid state ignition. Theres nothing in the book about solid state ignition either. Sorry I couldn't help.