Tractor Sizing What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm?

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #1  

B Hoofed

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040HD
My wife and I have a small farm raising miniature and mammoth donkeys, as well as horses. We are almost ready to buy a tractor to help with the farm maintenance. The tractor will be used to mow about 30 acres, some of it hilly, occasional loader work, grading driveways and riding arenas, drilling post holes, and occasional snow removal. The tractor needs to be big enough to safely carry a 1,000 lb round bale, and heavy enough to make an impression with a box blade on hard pan clay soil. I need enough power to use a 6 ft rotary cutter in heavy grass.
What size tractor should I be looking for, and with what features? Is it better to buy new or used?

Thanks in advance!

-Jason

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #2  
Well I think the tractor that you should get is a TYM t503 hydrostatic. It is about 50 horse power, has a 4 cylinder cat/perkins diesel engine (which will last forever), it is 4x4, and it is big enough to do all of the jobs that you listed above. If you want, you can get it with a cab that comes with A/C, heat, and a radio straight from the factory It also comes with a free 5 year warranty! I personally own a TYM t603 with 200 hours on it and so far I love it. Here is a link to the specs TYM Tractors - T503 Specification

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #3  
Welcome Jason;

How much you want to spend has a lot to do with getting something that will do it all.
30+ PTO HP to run a 6ft mower (figure 5hp per ft.)
If you have a loader then 4WD is best.
The 3PH has no down pressure, so how much a box blade digs is more a factor of how heavy the box blade is.
There are lots of brands and sizes. Weight, balance, and wheel base, have more to do with what you can lift safely with a loader than HP.
I like to buy new if I can afford it. Most mfg. are offering 0% financing right now, if that helps.
I live about 45 miles from you. If you would like to check out what I use, your welcome. Just PM me.:)

Happy hunting, Bill

Last edited:
   / What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #4  
You would be better off with a 45 hp or larger tractor, in my opinion. Just grass pulls hard on a bush hog if it gets tall, and the extra weight would help with the round bales. You can move round bales on the 3ph with out going to a bigger tractor.

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #5  
Jason,

Hello Fellow Virginian!

I'm in a similar situation. You need minimum 30 PTO HP to run a 6' bush hog, so that will push you into the ~40 hp minimum for a tractor. HST is nice and easy to drive. I'm running a Kioti DK50se HST myself and I love it. Lavoie Equip in Asland VA is an awesome dealer and I will vouch for them. The sweet spot at Kioti seems to be the DK40, which is what I would recommend for you.

$ for $, Kioti makes a tractor which i heavier and has more features and capacity than all the bigger names and for less $$ out the door.

You won't go wrong with a Kioti. Also, the Bobcat is a Kioti with a different loader.

But I will also say there are many people here who love their 'Bota, Deere, Ford/NH, Massey, Mahindra, etc... they are ALL good, some have different features that may be more Valuable to you specifically.

Be well and happy tractoring!
David

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #6  
you need a 4x4 tractor with fel with a minum of 50hp.a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/LA844 quicktatch loader will do everything you want it todo an more.

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #7  
You would be better off with a 45 hp or larger tractor, in my opinion. Just grass pulls hard on a bush hog if it gets tall, and the extra weight would help with the round bales. You can move round bales on the 3ph with out going to a bigger tractor.

I agree. The 5hp per foot of mower figure I gave is a minimum. I have a compact utility tractor, because I have small acreage. I would think you would be better off with a utility size. As I said wheel base makes a big difference. Bigger is better to a point. A friend has a 70HP cab tractor which is great for his 85 acres, but would be waaay to big at my place, just because of the room required to turn around.
After a dealer asks what work you need to do, his next question is going to be, how much do you want to spend!
For the same quality, the bigger they are the more they cost.:D

Bill

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm? #8  
Believe that you need 40+hp for your needs. If you intend to move the big hay bales with your front end than a spear atch on the front end is the way to go. I would suggest that you insist on a quick attach system on the front which many manufacturers now offer. You don't give any specifics on FEL work (moving dirt for example) so you need to consider what type of drive system you need (GST< HST etc...) Definitely seriously consider 4 WD

/ What would be a good tractor for my hobby farm?
Hi Guys; I think we lost our OP.

Sorry I've been extremely busy at work and on the farm this week. Thanks for all of the great replies.