What do you mean its running BACKWARDS!

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #1  

Dogtrainer

Tractor
JD 3320
I just purchased a used JD 550 tiller from my John Deere dealer that was in on consignment. It's in really nice condition and the dealer said knowing the owner, he took care of his equipment.
Let that be lesson 1! Either the blades are on backward or the tiller is running backward. I started out by checking all the bolts and oil levels, and adding it where needed. The blades I found, are over sharpened to the point of almost able to cut you when rubbed. Then I hooked it up and we went to the garden. We have a lot of hard soil and rocks so I expected it to be a bit of a go at first. MAN OH MAN! The tiller was jumping and bouncing but it was breaking ground. It wasn't doing what I had expected but it was removing the grass as it was only set for about 3 inches deep. After about 1/2 hour I got a LOW FUEL light so I called the test run complete. When I got it back to the house I inspected the blades to see what kindmofmdammage had been done to those sharpened edges. They were still as sharp as when I started. I started wondering, could those blades be on backward?
Looking at the tiller from the 3ph and watching the rotation, It is indeed hitting the ground with the back of the blade and the direction of rotation is throwing the dirt toward the bottom, back side of the tiller.
I have to assume that someone has replaced the blades and put them on backward. OR, And here comes the stupid question the tiller is running BACKWARDS!
Being new to tractors I have to ask this stupid question and I'm already sorry that I do! Are PTOs Omni directional? SORRY!
I have a Jd 3320.

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #2  
A picture would be extremely helpful n answering your question.

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #3  
The pictures I found of used ones showed the tine direction would be WITH ground direction. I mean the tines would push the tractor forward.

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS!
The tine closest to the ground has the cutting edge facing the tractor. The back edge of the blade is hitting the ground. As with the previous post, the rotation would be as if trying to push the tractor forward.

Attachments

• image-1351006498.jpg
    image-1351006498.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 541
   / What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #5  
I'll bet the previous owner sold it because of the poor cutting after taking the blades off and sharpening them.

:)

Bruce

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #6  
Yup, I would say thats backwards from what I can see.

There are reverse rotation tillers though, as in opposite to the direction of travel.

My belhen and jd 647 tillers have the tines striking the ground from the top going down/rearward with the sharpened edge leading.

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #7  
If that is the lower 3ph arm at the top right of the picture, it sure seems like the tines are backwards. Google "deere 550 tiller" and look at the pictures.

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #8  
I would turn those blades around and enjoy your new tiller.

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS! #9  
One would have thought that the Dealer would have picked up on the incorrect installation. Hope you got a good deal on it.

/ What do you mean its running BACKWARDS!
I paid $1500 for the tiller. It was less then the cheapest brand new tillers I found.