compost spreader for single row?

/ compost spreader for single row? #1  

laltier

Tractor
John Deere
I have a small vegetable operation, and I am looking for a small pto-driven unit for depositing compost right in the row as a top or side dressing (i.e., not broadcast). So, it would be like a modified unit for fertilizer, except it would have to be able to handle chunkier compost material. Has anyone seen anything like this?

/ compost spreader for single row? #2  
So...........
Your thinking about a twin hopper set up, like a 3pt, PTO powered spreader that vertically drops a blanket of material on either side of a crop row ?
Is that kind of it ?

Would you just be using the kind of material that comes in bags at home improvement stores ?
How about something like oat straw ? Or yard waste compost ? Or pulverized black dirt ?
Interesting concept to think about ...............

/ compost spreader for single row?
Yes--that's the idea. We use compost that has been run through a screen so it's like the compost and steer manure often sold in bags. We trickle irrigate in our vegetable rows, so we want to apply it directly in the row. The problem is the common type of precision fertilizer applicator would get clogged.

/ compost spreader for single row? #4  
A rotary style spreader would do exactly what you are wanting. You might even be able to make your own.

Gre.Purp.Red-514x359.jpg

ribbon_poo-364x267.jpg

Home of the Stablers Rotary Manure Spreader

/ compost spreader for single row? #5  
I made one for another grower a few years ago from the 4 foot section of feeder house and feeder house chain off an old combine header. I just made a hopper then mounted a hydro motor on the feeder chain input shaft. I just beefed up the sides of te section of feeder house and then added on the hopper about a yard capacity. He loaded with another tractor. He also used an old ground driver spreader he took the rear better out of and we welded a plater to the rear where the material would fall off each side of of it to the sides of the plants.