TSC 3 point hitch log splitter

/ TSC 3 point hitch log splitter #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I'm thinking of buying the log splitter that Tractor Supply Company carries. They sell it for $575.

Does anyone have one or know about them? Is this a good price?

Thanks!!

/ TSC 3 point hitch log splitter #2  
Got one. Works great. Never had a log it couldn't split. Is slower than a dedicated unit, but speed is tied to your tractor's hydraulic flow (mine is 9.8gpm). When vertical, sometimes the left-rear tire is in the way.

Generally, I am satisfied but wish the cycle were 2 seconds faster.

Mark

/ TSC 3 point hitch log splitter
...speed is tied to your tractors hydraulic flow...

So does that mean you have to have a remote on your tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I thought it was pto driven.

By the way...thanks for the response.

/ TSC 3 point hitch log splitter #4  
as far as a remote is concerned a firend of mine just bungie cords the loader lever into a position and runs his with it hooked to the loader hookups. but it is a hydrolic unit and needs a pump. you could get a pto hydr. pump and run it that way. you would get faster cycling speeds as the pumps may go 20 gal/min but you need a resevoir to hold the hyd oil also.

alex

/ TSC 3 point hitch log splitter #5  
Yep - rear remote. It is not PTO driven. By the time you add in a pump, hoses, reservoir you might as well buy a free standing one. Like was said, you can apparently run it off the loader connections as well. Just need long hoses and quick connects. Of course, you can't use your loader while the logsplitter is hooked up.....
Mark

/ TSC 3 point hitch log splitter #6  
Sorry Rich, but markie61 is right. Without the remotes on your tractors, you would be better off with a self contained splitter. They are not to much more. How much do you have to split? If its not a ton, you may be able to find a smaller one, or a nice used one. Or you could luck into one like I did. $800 and it came with tractor, and mower. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

my tractor/splitter

/ TSC 3 point hitch log splitter
Well...I have remotes on my Oliver, but I wanted to use the splitter hooked up to my Ferguson, which has no remotes. I thought I'd use the loader on the Oliver to help me stack the wood after it's split, and it would be easier having the splitter on the Fergy. I need to rethink this now. It's do-able, but now I have to rethink the system I made up for dealing with the wood.

Thanks for the info, guys!!!