Bx23 hydraulic steering failure?

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #1  

Stanzer

Tractor
bx23
I tried searching the forums and found nothing on a BX23 steering problem as I will describe. I am not very familiar with forums so please steer me.
My BX23 performs well at slow driving speeds however when traveling faster there is a lot of play in the steering and at maximum speed it is almost impossible to drive because there is so much dead play in the steering (I weave like a drunk).
The problem is not mechanical play in the steering linkages. Has anyone experinced this on a BX23 and can they point to the cause?

Great site - I have learnt a lot from the participants. This is my 1st posting.

BX23 with 1,200 hours - almost all mine :)

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #2  
I tried searching the forums and found nothing on a BX23 steering problem as I will describe. I am not very familiar with forums so please steer me.
My BX23 performs well at slow driving speeds however when traveling faster there is a lot of play in the steering and at maximum speed it is almost impossible to drive because there is so much dead play in the steering (I weave like a drunk).
The problem is not mechanical play in the steering linkages. Has anyone experinced this on a BX23 and can they point to the cause?

Great site - I have learnt a lot from the participants. This is my 1st posting.

BX23 with 1,200 hours - almost all mine :)

Have you found out what the problem was ? I am having the same issue.

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #3  
I believe some of the BX models had problems with the seals on the steering cylinders. This could cause the problems you are describing.

I am not 100% sure on how this is diagnosed with out removing lines and checking for oil flow.

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #4  
I believe some of the BX models had problems with the seals on the steering cylinders. This could cause the problems you are describing.

I am not 100% sure on how this is diagnosed with out removing lines and checking for oil flow.

I was told to remove hydraulic lines from cylinder, cap them, start tractor, turn steering wheel. If it turns easy, its the controller. If it doesn't turn, its the cylinder. I'm still trying to locate some 3/8 metric thread plugs that are long enough to totally shut down the hydraulics without leaking.

Last edited:
   / Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #5  
Crank the steering wheel to the hard stop. Does it turn harder or just free wheel. Turns hard indicates you probably have a bad seal on the cylinder. Turns easy woud indicate bad steering unit.

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #6  
if it's a da cyl, take off a line and steer to pressurize other line.. if you get oil continually coming thru the open port cyl is bypassing.

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #7  
if it's a da cyl, take off a line and steer to pressurize other line.. if you get oil continually coming thru the open port cyl is bypassing.

...like your q&d seal check...:thumbsup:

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #8  
it works. :)

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #9  
welcome to the forum.....

looks like you have some answers to your question but for future brand specific questions like yours, you can post them down in the kubota forums.

Some of us browse most of the forums, but there are those that just stick to there brand and dont worry about the rest.... ;)

/ Bx23 hydraulic steering failure? #10  
welcome to the forum.....

looks like you have some answers to your question but for future brand specific questions like yours, you can post them down in the kubota forums.

Some of us browse most of the forums, but there are those that just stick to there brand and dont worry about the rest.... ;)

Thanks for the tip.