Automatic gate opener (solar powered)

/ Automatic gate opener (solar powered) #1  

jacobsdaddy06

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF1240
Who on here has them and what manufacturer do you recommend? Will be a single swing style gate.. want to add the keypad as well.. Thanks

/ Automatic gate opener (solar powered) #2  
Probably the best place to start looking, at least for information, is GTO. They were pretty much the default ones we'd install unless someone wanted something else.

/ Automatic gate opener (solar powered) #3  
What ever you do get a heavy duty operator, you will have alot less trouble with them. I also recommend you get an electric latch, takes alot of the wind load off the operator which can trip a limit switch. I have used some Mule operators with the solar panels, no problems with holding a charge but they seem to be only half way reliable. All the keypads, driveway sensors, solar panels and key fobs are bullet proof, the trouble is usually tripping a limit switch.

/ Automatic gate opener (solar powered) #4  
I,ve got a GTO mm600 with automatic lock and keypad (no solar). I just use a deep cycle marine battery and recharge it every couple of months. It works good and we use it 10 to 12 times a day.

/ Automatic gate opener (solar powered) #5  
I have two of the GTO Mighty Mule 350 openers w/lock and keypad my main gate opener I've been using since 07 and the second one since about 09 or 10. Main gate is hooked up to a transformer at the barn charging a 12V car battery. The second one is on a solar panel charging a 12V car battery for power. Neither unit has given me any trouble both run a 16' round pipe style gate you see every where, green colored ones. The Automatic gate lock is a big help if you are some place windy. I also put the Pin locks on the gates just to make it a little harder to get in if some one was so inclined. Hope this helps and yes I would buy the same units again if I needed more.

/ Automatic gate opener (solar powered) #6  
I've had my mule 500 for just a couple months now but I sure like it so far. I have the GTO lock on it and added an extra battery and solar panel. The gate is a green 16' light pipe. The one problem I'm having is keeping the lock adjusted so it consistently hits correctly. I'm guessing the change in temp expands / contracts the gate just enough that it moves the lock off center. Haven't figured out what to do about it yet.