PTO Hydraulic Pump Recommendation

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump Recommendation #1  

tv19642001

Tractor
JD 6170R
I have a JD 5085M with 2 SCV's plus the 2 mid-mount SCV's for the JD 563SL Loader. I had a JD 7000 planter which was ground driven with finger units. Sold it to a customer for his sweet corn and filling in drowned out areas. Anyway, I am looking at upgrading to a vac planter but don't think my tractor has the capabilities to keep a hydrailc driven vac spun up plus I cannot "lock" the controls without jimmy-rigging a bungie chord. If I remember correctly, the 5085M is Open Center and rated at 18.4 gpm @ 2828 psi (TractorData.com John Deere 5085M tractor information) and most vac planter have almost double the flow rate at 30+ gpm. I am looking for a 540 PTO hydraulic pump/reservoir that would handle the capacity. Any good recommendations?

One advantage the 5085M has is 540/540E PTO. 540E allows the PTO to run at 540 RPM no matter the engine speed. This works great when I hook to my 85' Batco conveyor for filling grain bins since I can idle the tractor with the PTO engaged and it still runs at 540 and saves a ton of fuel Tractor is rated at 85 HP, 70 HP PTO. I can keep a constant PTO at any RPM and I believe a vac planter does not require a lot of HP.

Thanks in advance, Todd.

Great Forum too!

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump Recommendation
Thanks, JJ. I am going to check with my Deere dealer since after posting, I did a little more research. Some other sites were stating 3-5 GPM for a vac. I am only looking at 6- or 8-row 7200/7300 series. I believe a 16-, 24- or 32-row vac planter may require 30+ GPM which a tractor in the 8030 or 9030 series would be more than adequate. These are 200+ HP tractors with a 33.5 GPM minimum flow rate for the smaller 45cc pump and 60 GPM for the larger 80cc pump. I am only looking at 1/4 this size.

This may seem the way to go as other posts have also stated that with an Open hydraulic system, you need to put the vac into float until the vac spins down or else there is a massive buildup of pressure and it will relieve it self somewhere, most were blown vac motors or seals.

Thanks, Todd.

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump Recommendation #4  
Any hyd motor with a lot of mass to keep the motor turning needs to have a relief valve across the motor, or drive the motor with a motor spool valve.

/ PTO Hydraulic Pump Recommendation
Hey JJ, had a few things change since the last posts. I had the Deluxe hydraulic block installed on the JD 5085M which added a third SCV'S and turned it into a closed center so each SCV has detent and #1 has flow control. Also added case drain for that pressure problem. No more buggy cord! Anyway, got a 12-row JD 7300 wing-fold planter with lift assist wheels. Working on taking the wings off and making a 6-row. This is a vac planter with the older style vac so only 2 connections; think I can get a new vac motor that has the bypass (3rd connection) to hook to the case drain. Dealer first told me it won't work, then says it will and now says it won't since the 5085M is a high flow, low pressure pump and the vac is low flow high pressure. But they want to sell me a 540 PTO pump for a smooth $2600 and change (probably 400-500 in hoses too) and they cannot tell me if it would even work. Any insight? I am getting more confused and frustrated and planting is a mere 60 days away.