Onan Pump cover gasket replacement... how hard is it?

/ Onan Pump cover gasket replacement... how hard is it? #1  

Cub2140

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2140
I discovered a good sized oil leak today between the front pump cover and the engine block on my Onan equiped Cub. Looking it over briefly, Looks like the electric PTO clutch assembly has to come off along with an assortment of bolts. I was looking at a diagram of the front cover just a bit ago, looking to get a price on the gasket, and it looks like there could possibly be more parts inside connected to that front cover.

My question is, what all is involved in removing that cover and replacing it? Also how hard is it to remove the PTO clutch? Is it pressed on or simply bolted with a keyway on the shaft? Also, when I tried to pull up a picture of the part based on the diagram listed, it was only showing me the crank seal. Is there a kit with an assortment of seals and gaskets to replace?

Thanks for any help. Just trying to get a feel for what is involved in replacing this gasket to be sure I have all parts ready... I hate going for parts more than once!

/ Onan Pump cover gasket replacement... how hard is it? #2  
I discovered a good sized oil leak today between the front pump cover and the engine block on my Onan equiped Cub. Looking it over briefly, Looks like the electric PTO clutch assembly has to come off along with an assortment of bolts. I was looking at a diagram of the front cover just a bit ago, looking to get a price on the gasket, and it looks like there could possibly be more parts inside connected to that front cover.

My question is, what all is involved in removing that cover and replacing it? Also how hard is it to remove the PTO clutch? Is it pressed on or simply bolted with a keyway on the shaft? Also, when I tried to pull up a picture of the part based on the diagram listed, it was only showing me the crank seal. Is there a kit with an assortment of seals and gaskets to replace?

Thanks for any help. Just trying to get a feel for what is involved in replacing this gasket to be sure I have all parts ready... I hate going for parts more than once!

Hi there. This is a fairly easy procedure. Recommend borrowing, buying or renting a wheel puller to grab the back side of the clutch housing on the PTO. Gasket kits are available but you will need to buy the oil seal and the exhaust gasket separately.

Remove:
Hood/grill
Oil filter
Muffler/downpipe
PTO/pulley [as a unit, it is keyed]
-This is a good time to use some medium steel wool to descale the crank shaft if there is rust, this will prevent damage to the new oil seal when replacing the front cover...
Oil pressure sensor
Oil fill tube

Now you are free to unbolt and remove the front cover. Onans have given me very little grief, a rubber mallet and some wrist action usually do the trick.
Provided you remember to line up the oil pump key with the keyway on the starboard oil slinger drive gear before you attempt to remount the front cover it should be smooth sailing back to where you started. Don't ask how i know. Best of luck!