Price Check Costs for improving pasture.

/ Costs for improving pasture. #1  

wallerfarmer

Tractor
NONE
I just bought some 10 acres of cleared land in waller which i am planning of converting to a grazing lot. The quality of native forage that is currently on that land is'nt that good.
After doing a mowing run, I am planning of putting a few runs of chisel plows and ( maybe a disc harrow & Groomer ) and then run a seed drill with fescue,Bluegrass, and probably some wheatgrass.

What kind of Costs am i looking at over here.?

/ Costs for improving pasture. #2  
I just bought some 10 acres of cleared land in waller which i am planning of converting to a grazing lot. The quality of native forage that is currently on that land is'nt that good.
After doing a mowing run, I am planning of putting a few runs of chisel plows and ( maybe a disc harrow & Groomer ) and then run a seed drill with fescue,Bluegrass, and probably some wheatgrass.

What kind of Costs am i looking at over here.?

I would call the Baker's or the Hegar's and ask them about buying some tops or sprigs from their hay fields.

Both are local to your area, and both know their business...

BAKER HAY & FEED

Or call Lawrence at Coastal Hay - Horse Hay - Hegar Hay in Texas

/ Costs for improving pasture. #3  
I am not aware of the prices in your area, but fescue runs $39.00 - 50 lb bag here and straw runs $3.00-$5.50 for a square bale. I covered some bare areas several weeks ago where I had previously removed some stumps. I bought my seed from a friend of mine that owns a local hardware, farm and feed store. I paid $31.00 for the fescue and $2.50 a bale for the straw. Best wishes. Hopefully you will receive ample rainfall.

/ Costs for improving pasture. #4  
If I were you, I'd plant jigs. The big question is when, meaning getting some timely rains and roots established before real cold weather.

/ Costs for improving pasture. #5  
I sprigged my fields with tifton 85 back in Feburary and it is growing great. But I want a great field fast so I plan on putting out tops after the next cutting. depending on the rain.

I used a guy out of richards. I have his number somewhere is interested.

I think he also does coastal and Jigg.

I would not plant the grasses you mentioned.

The first thing is get a soil test. Unless the PF and all is is good nothing will grown correctly.

I used 1 ton of lime per acres and that takes awhile to do any good.

I would consider waiting until next year to plant and getting the soil right first.

/ Costs for improving pasture.
thanks to all for ya educative replies.
StanR, any good place ya recommend to get my soil tests done.?

/ Costs for improving pasture. #7  
Talk to your local county extension agent. He will explain about how to take soil sample in various locations and take them in to their office. They usually do the test for free and will tell you how much lime is needed and how much fertilizer to put. Be prepared for some sticker shock when you price the lime and especially the fertilizer