FORD 4610 MUFFLER ISSUE

/ FORD 4610 MUFFLER ISSUE #1  

LastSTRAW

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 90, Kioti DK50SE with Cab, Ford 4610, Ford 2110, Ford 860, Hough Payloader, 1945 International Bull Dozer
I need some advice on a muffler for my Ford 4610. The existing muffler does not have any holes in it but is extremely loud. You may not think that is a bad thing but when you mow for 3 or 4 hours at high RPM it can be a pain. I don't know if the current muffler is the right one or just a cheap one my late uncle put on it to save money. Both the OEM muffler and the kit to change it to vertical muffler on the hood are too expensive.

My question "Is there any danger to the engine of using a muffler with either too little or too much back pressure?

Thanks

/ FORD 4610 MUFFLER ISSUE #2  
Not sure what a dealer wants for that muffler, as Messicks doesn't list a price. I did go to New Holland, and found the part number for the muffler for a 4610 with a mounting tab on the muffler itself, so not sure it is the right one. But here is that part number: C7NN5230H I did a Google search and saw prices ranging from $58 to over $88.

On the other hand, about 6 years ago I went to a muffler shop, and got one that matched the one on my 3 cyl. 2000, for like $28 out the door. Doesn't seem to be any louder then the OEM one.

Then again, would a 45 degree elbow turned down help..?? At least direct the noise towards the ground.

Just a thought.

/ FORD 4610 MUFFLER ISSUE
The 45 elbow might be worth a try. The last I checked my OEM muffler was in the $130 to $140 range. I have a muffler in the shop but don't know if it is the right one nor do I know if the one on my tractor is the right one. Two years ago I ordered what I thought was the right water pump for my Ford 860 but the fan didn't fit. Turns out my uncle had a different model water pump which needed a different model fan.

/ FORD 4610 MUFFLER ISSUE #4  
As long as the muffler fits the manifold pipe and the muffler outlet pipe is bigger than the the inlet, you should be all right. Going big on a NA diesel exhaust won't hurt anything in fact you might get a little more airflow throughput and thus a little more power. Going too small will limit power some because it will reduce through flow