Mid Mount Mower VS Finishing Mower

/ Mid Mount Mower VS Finishing Mower #1  

pane056

Silver Member
Tractor
CaseIH 685 & JD 3320
Hello;

Are the intended purposes of a Mid Mount & Finishing Mower the same? Both do the same job just different mounting?

Thanks nicholas

/ Mid Mount Mower VS Finishing Mower #2  
Yes, they are designed for the same job. MMM= mid mount (finish) mower, RFM = rear finish mower. Location notwithstanding, the major difference is in the drive source. All conventional tractors now are equipped with a rear PTO, hence they can power a RFM. Most MMMs however require the tractor be equipped with a mid-PTO. That's why you see so many more RFMs than you do MMMs.

Another difference is that RFMs can be had in either side discharge or rear discharge configuration. Most MMMs are side discharge only.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Mid Mount Mower VS Finishing Mower #3  
I have a mmm on my 4110 ( 60" ) and it does a great job. I have tons of small trees I mow around and it allows me to get close. Besides I hate twisting my neck to see where I have been or trying to miss something. The mmm is almost automatic in terms of coverage. Good luck with your choice.

/ Mid Mount Mower VS Finishing Mower #4  
For me, the RFM was half the cost of the MMM setup, especially because my tractor has as an OPTION, the mid Pto.

Also, to do ground engaging work, the MMM might need to come off, for ground clearance/potential damage. Whereas, the RFM serves double duty as rear ballast...no need to take it off.

There are pros and cons in the actual mowing...

In tight spaces, as someone else pointed out, the MMM makes mowing around trees easier, and may require less sideways seating to observe the RFM in the back.

But the RFM rear discharge leaves no "trails" of fresh cut grass. And if u have an area that u can't mow right along side, the RFM allows precision backing into a tight area....if u back right up to something with the MMM, u would have a few feet that it wouldn't cut.

/ Mid Mount Mower VS Finishing Mower
Hello:

Thank you very much for the information.

We just bought a JD 3320 cab with loader 60" mid MMM and a 59" JD snoblower.

My wife plans on using it for mowing and blowing. We figured it would be much easier for her using the
MMM rather then watching out for the over swing on a RFM.

As for removing the mower for other chores the MMM is the new drive on, drive off hook up and that works great.

Thanks again, nicholas

/ Mid Mount Mower VS Finishing Mower #6  
Nice choice. Looked at a 3320 without a cab, no loader and was rather shocked at the price. A few years ago I bought a TC 55 New Holland with a 270 loader ( factory order ) for the same price and roughly 25 more hp plus options. I know deere is expensive and carry a good resale value but trading the 4110 to get one with the same attachments plus cab would set me back in the payment plan. Mine is an 04 with 260 hours and I will upgrade in a year or so.. depending on the spread it may not be green. I would have to review the field but would not consider any Chinese or off brand foreign designs.
Before I get any hate mail I know a large percentage of compacts are made across the ocean but I prefer American names that stand out in agricultural circles.