John Deere F1145 fuel problem

/ John Deere F1145 fuel problem #1  

ffejallen

Tractor
New Holland Boomer 41
My John Deere F1145 is giving me a fit right now. It has a 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine and wasnt giving me any problems until i decided to change the fuel filter. The problem is i changed the fuel filter and bled fuel system according to the manual and it started right up. After driving for a short time it died. I opened the hood and found the filter housing was almost empty. I filled it back up and re-bled everything and it will run fine until i try moving the machine. Once it starts moving it is like the fuel is dumped quickly from the filter housing and the engine dies from fuel starvation. It is like something is dumping the fuel out because it just empties out very quickly. I changed the fuel pump to filter hose this morning but it is still dumping the fuel back into the tank. Can anybody help. Thanks Jeff.

/ John Deere F1145 fuel problem #2  
Fisrt check that your lift pump is working. Remove the hose and measure the amount of fuel it produces in one minute.

/ John Deere F1145 fuel problem #3  
Then, if it only dies when you're moving the machine, check the fuel pick-up hose in the tank. After several years, the hose gets brittle ... either breaks off or has cracks that allow air to be sucked in.

/ John Deere F1145 fuel problem #4  
Put the old filter back in if you still have it. Then see if it runs normally. If so .... !

/ John Deere F1145 fuel problem
I threw the old filter away but I will get a new one on monday and see what that does. I will also check the tanks and hoses in the morning. Thanks for the help

/ John Deere F1145 fuel problem #6  
I threw the old filter away but I will get a new one on monday and see
what that does. I will also check the tanks and hoses in the morning. Thanks for the help
Let us know what you find... It might help someone with the same problem.

i tried a new filter and still the same thing. It will run at full throttle as long as I dont move the machine. When you move the machine it is like a valve is opened and the fuel filter just empties out. Could there be a safety switch that is making it do this? I will try the hoses from the fuel tanks.

/ John Deere F1145 fuel problem #8  
i tried a new filter and still the same thing. It will run at full throttle as long as I dont move the machine. When you move the machine it is like a valve is opened and the fuel filter just empties out. Could there be a safety switch that is making it do this? I will try the hoses from the fuel tanks.

Just to be sure of my point ... There is a hose INSIDE the tank. It connects at the top of the tank to a weighted screen pick-up that rests on the bottom of the tank. I suppose
it's to get the last bit of fuel if the machine is on a hillside. This hose was old & cracked on my mower. Anything less than a full tank of fuel and the engine starved & died.

Thanks hosspuller. I am in the process of pulling the tank off now and checking those hoses. I appreciate the help

That was the problem. Hose had broken loose from the nozzle and was laying in the bottom of the tank.