Metric Threads on a 50 Year Old Ford Disc?

/ Metric Threads on a 50 Year Old Ford Disc? #1  

RedDawg

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 Mahindra 5010, 1955 Ford 640
Can this possibly be true? I need to replace a couple of the notched discs on my old Ford Series G tandem disc (built by Dearborn I believe). This thing is at least 50 years old according to the research. I had to split the square nuts off the end of each axle as nothing I tried let me unscrew them. I disassembled the gangs of discs and have the new ones coming in.

Now I have to replace the nuts. I cleaned the axles up in the bead blaster. The documentation I find on this old disc says it has 7/8 round axles so I think it is a 7/8 Narrow Thread but that hexagon nut won稚 go on. Both 7/8 and 1 Course Thread nuts are wrong. I知 running all over and finally go to Fastenal here in town. After getting out the gauges and micrometers, it measures out to a 15/16 rod with a 24 metric thread. Is that possible? He痴 got some coming in tomorrow morning and I can try them. If they don稚 fit I don稚 have to buy them. But is this possible?

Thanks for the insight.

Steve

/ Metric Threads on a 50 Year Old Ford Disc? #2  
sounds like an axle repalcement.

my old ford dual ganged disc has had the axle repalced.. by me.. and I used whatever I had on hand to do so.. threaded accordingly.

remember.. it's metal.. ytou can ALWAYS change it if you don't like what it has... I've welded up worn threads on axle spindles and rethreaded before... not super fun.. not hard either.. weld.. grind to close fit for tap and go... sander usually helps ge that fit for tap the last few thousandths that the grinder is a lil too reckless for.

remember.. coarse thread and nylocks will be easier to work with if you roll your own..