New 3rd Function Grapple Valve on CT235

/ New 3rd Function Grapple Valve on CT235 #1  

gumshu

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2025R TLB, Kubota L4802 and Can Am Defender HD7
OK, so I just installed the 3rd function valve and hydraulics for my new grapple. I still have to install the Scorpion joystick button handle and connect the wires (simple), but I did test for flow and the valve works. Here are some pics. I'll post more when I get the handle connected to the joystick and replace the flat connectors on the grapple with some 1/2 inch AG QD.

This is a Construction Attachments kit purchased through a dealer. It's actually for an 8TL loader, but works fine on a 7TL by just reversing the position of the valve. I did have to make my own mounting plate as the one in the kit is for the CT335. I also had to remove the clear plastic piece from the mud guard to install the valve.

Installation wasn't too difficult except for connecting the 90 degree JIC fitting at the loader "power beyond" port. The tight working space and leaking hydraulic fluid made it a chore to screw on the fitting. I also had to remove the seat in order to connect a hose from the tank to the valve. The tube in the picture below is the power beyond tube that had to be removed. Each corresponding tube port was then routed to the valve by a hose.
The bulkhead hoses were a little too long (made for CT335), so I just dropped the bulkhead mount to a lower position than noted on the instructions. Great instructions and customer support.
IMG_0324s.jpgIMG_0325s.jpgIMG_0347s.jpgIMG_0349s.jpgIMG_0353s.jpgIMG_0333s.jpgIMG_0343s.jpgIMG_0352s.jpgIMG_0358 s.jpgIMG_0361 s.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    621.3 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
   / New 3rd Function Grapple Valve on CT235 #2  
Is this the kit sold through Bobcat or from somewhere else that dealer found for you?

/ New 3rd Function Grapple Valve on CT235
Is this the kit sold through Bobcat or from somewhere else that dealer found for you?
Hi SSdoxie. I called and spoke with Construction Attachments to ask questions about the kit and they referred me to a dealer here in California. I should have ordered it from a dealer in North Carolina and would have saved $55 bucks in tax. It was a toss between this kit and the WR Long kit... two different setups. The WR Long kit requires mounting the valve to the left rear side of the tractor (near wheel well). This would have required very long hoses from the rear to the front, about 14' feet. I didn't want to do that. I prefer mounting the valve to the right front side. I also preferred the Scorpion 2 button handle as opposed to a switch and a valve with an accessible electrical connection box.

I'm a little frustrated with the way Bobcat designed and mounted the plastic joystick control grip. It does not pull off or unscrew. I'll have to cut it off... and the top of the stick is not round, it's flat. So I'll have to cut that off too in order to slide on the Scorpion control handle. You'd think they would have thought that through a little better.:mad:

In order to install this kit, I had to remove the right plastic mud cover; drill two holes for the valve mount; drill one hole for the electrical and I'll have to cut the top off the joy stick to install the control handle. I also had to remove the seat to remove the tube and install an adapter and hose.

I'll finish it up as time allows.

Installation of electrical and hydraulics is now complete. Not enough time for this kind of stuff. Time to test it on the grapple tomorrow. I had to cut off the loader joystick "grip" and grind off part of the joystick at the bottom of the knurling (visible after removing the grip). The Scorpion control handle went on without a hitch after drilling out the attachment for the handle with a 37/64th's bit on my drill press.

I had to drill a 7/16ths hole for the electrical wire next to the rubber boot and insert a rubber 1/4" grommet. The electrical connection to the fuse box was made using the fuse and hardware provided.

The only hiccup is that one of the up/down lights on the valve isn't working. The setup looks pretty clean.
IMG_0383s.jpgIMG_0381s.jpgIMG_0382s.jpgIMG_0384s.jpgIMG_0385s.jpgIMG_0386s.jpgIMG_0387s.jpgIMG_0390s.jpgIMG_0391s.jpg

It Works! Nice and smooth!
IMG_0393s.jpg

/ New 3rd Function Grapple Valve on CT235 #6  
Does your kit allow you to open/close the grapple and raise/lower the loader arms at the same time?

Last edited:
   / New 3rd Function Grapple Valve on CT235 #8  
Did you ever say which brand kit you used instead of WR Long? I didn't see that. How much did it cost if I may ask.

/ New 3rd Function Grapple Valve on CT235 #9  
If the 3ed function valve is after the FEL valve, you can only use the grapple when there is some fluid passing through the FEL valve. If FEL lever is full up or down, the fluid from the cyl circuit will go to tank, and none available for the rest of the hyd system.

So if you are only using half the pump flow for the lift arms, then you have the other half for the grapple.

The amount of fluid also determines the speed of grapple operation.

If one feathers the FEL, you should have fluid for the grapple.

If the grapple does not seem to operate, you are using all the fluid for the lift arms.

Using the 3ed function, you are applying all available GPM to the grapple. No feathering the grapple.

Did you ever say which brand kit you used instead of WR Long? I didn't see that. How much did it cost if I may ask.
I shopped around and compared the WR Long kit to the Construction Attachments kit. I used the Construction Attachments kit for setup, component preference and customer support. However, WR long does support more tractor models. Both kits were in the same ballpark of $750. bucks plus shipping... a little pricy. However, there wasn't much difference pricing things out piece meal, so I opted for the kit rather than parting it together myself.