A nice free pop-up blocker...

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #1  

Muhammad

Administrator
Tractor
None currently
I was always hesitant to install a pop-up blocker, or set my browser to block pop-ups, because sometimes pop-ups are related to the page and contain information I'm looking for.

The new version of Alexa has a free pop-up blocker built-in, that lets you allow or block a pop-up, based on the website or page you're visiting.

If you're interested, you can download it here.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #2  
Do they use spyware? I ask because I have run AD-Aware by lovasoft(freeware)and found things tittled Alexa.... That I did not install after trying out various sharewarfe and freeware products. I use Freesurfer Mkll and it works great and I have yet to find any spyware when I install it on a machine. But I'm always looking for something better.

By the adaware even give free updates for the basic software....

/ A nice free pop-up blocker...
You would have to define spyware... some people consider cookies to be 'spyware' when in reality, cookies do not invariably 'spy' on you.

If you already have a program the serves your needs and does it well, I'd probably stick with that. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #4  
no no not cookies...... I have found some kinda app or file called alexa...I dont' bother with cookies much.... Spy ware to me are those culprets that collect data of varioius types off my machine. You know the ones that get to be resource hogs...
AS I said Always looking for something more.... ARN"T WE ALL? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ A nice free pop-up blocker...
Alexa actually installs on your computer and places a toolbar in your browser... I'm sure if you looked at their 'privacy policy' you'd find out about exactly what they collect.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #6  
Opera browser has a popup blocker and cookie manager built in.

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #7  
i'll second that opinion on Opera!

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #8  
To control spyware and bogus cookies, try Spy Bot - Search and Destroy.

It is basically freeware - the developer asks for a donation.

I've installed it on one of PC's at home and it works like a charm. Very easy to install and set up.

I highly recommend it!

Terry

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #9  
Gary

I downloaded and installed Opera after reading your post. Sped up my screen loads at least 4X. Have you run into any problems with Opera ie. bugs? I noticed on the Main Index I don't get the new posts listed under total posts. Any idea why? Downloads seem faster too.
Mike

/ A nice free pop-up blocker... #10  
Opera's big claim to fame is FAST loading of pages. I have found no more bugs than any other brower. Rarely it will belly up and crash, but with the restart at last location feature you just restart the browser and your where you were. Opera has the ability to ID itself to web sites as Opera, IE and netscape.
F12 will give you a quick menu. Some sites will not respond correctly if you set it opera. Setting it to IE and sites are happy. It doesnt change any functional operation just what browser type is sent to a web site.

That feature plus the ability to open multi items from one link is great. I go to a tractorbynet link and all the fourms I like on the site popup. I like to run my browser in 1 screen mode where all pages are brough up within a single window.

I just check the main index and I see the total post value.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Gary

I downloaded and installed Opera after reading your post. Sped up my screen loads at least 4X. Have you run into any problems with Opera ie. bugs? I noticed on the Main Index I don't get the new posts listed under total posts. Any idea why? Downloads seem faster too.
Mike )</font>