Transmission Problem on TC 25

/ Transmission Problem on TC 25 #1  

mocitytx

Tractor
New Holland TC 25, Kubota TG1860
I have a 2002 TC 25 with about 400 hrs on it. The engine runs fine, but when I put it in gear, it moves only slowly in low range. Won't move at all in mid range. In gear and with the bushhog going, it moves even slower. Slows when trying to climb any slight grade. Plenty of hydraulic fluid and it looks good (clear). I'm not much of a tractor mechanic, but it sounds to me like little torque is being tranferred to the wheels or the PTO. Don't feel any engagement when depressing the clutch pedal. I welcome the members thoughts on a diagnosis for my problem and possible cure. Thanks.

/ Transmission Problem on TC 25 #2  
I have a 2002 TC 25 with about 400 hrs on it. The engine runs fine, but when I put it in gear, it moves only slowly in low range. Won't move at all in mid range. In gear and with the bushhog going, it moves even slower. Slows when trying to climb any slight grade. Plenty of hydraulic fluid and it looks good (clear). I'm not much of a tractor mechanic, but it sounds to me like little torque is being tranferred to the wheels or the PTO. Don't feel any engagement when depressing the clutch pedal. I welcome the members thoughts on a diagnosis for my problem and possible cure. Thanks.

check oil filter if there loose or change the oil and the filter, check if there s a leak somewhere from hoses

/ Transmission Problem on TC 25 #3  
Is your tractor a TC25 or TC25D (gear or HST)? Either/both of these have a clutch driving the transmission. Not moving in higher ranges is a sure sign of clutch slippage due to being out of adjustment or a worn clutch. Do you have any free play in your clutch pedal when fully released? You should have around 3/4" if the clutch is adjusted properly. It's a simple linkage adjustment between the pedal and the clutch linkage.

/ Transmission Problem on TC 25 #4  
Is your tractor a TC25 or TC25D (gear or HST)? Either/both of these have a clutch driving the transmission. Not moving in higher ranges is a sure sign of clutch slippage due to being out of adjustment or a worn clutch. Do you have any free play in your clutch pedal when fully released? You should have around 3/4" if the clutch is adjusted properly. It's a simple linkage adjustment between the pedal and the clutch linkage.

i agree with jinman

/ Transmission Problem on TC 25

The tractor is a gear drive not hydrostatic. I can depress the clutch pedal through its full range of travel and do not feel any engagement or resistance. This is the second clutch on this tractor and it probably has less than 100 hrs on it.

/ Transmission Problem on TC 25 #6  
The tractor is a gear drive not hydrostatic. I can depress the clutch pedal through its full range of travel and do not feel any engagement or resistance. This is the second clutch on this tractor and it probably has less than 100 hrs on it.

That sounds like your clutch release bearing is stuck, holding the clutch partially disengaged. Do you have a lot of high humidity/moisture in your area with possible condensation inside the case. I don't know if you have a removable inspection port on your tractor or not, but this certainly sounds like another new clutch is in your future. Did this seem to happen all at once or gradually get worse and worse. I would try to adjust the pedal, but from your description, no backpressure on the pedal does not sound good.

Also, is there a moisture drain hole on the bottom of your clutch housing? Many times it will have a cotter key in it. If that gets plugged, moisture can build up inside the case.

EDIT: I just looked at the online drawing and there is a rubber cover on the inspection port on the left side of the clutch housing. I don't know how much you might be able to see or if it would be any help, but it is there as well as the cotter key in the condensation drain hole on the bottom of the housing.

Last edited:
   / Transmission Problem on TC 25
That sounds like your clutch release bearing is stuck, holding the clutch partially disengaged. Do you have a lot of high humidity/moisture in your area with possible condensation inside the case. I don't know if you have a removable inspection port on your tractor or not, but this certainly sounds like another new clutch is in your future. Did this seem to happen all at once or gradually get worse and worse. I would try to adjust the pedal, but from your description, no backpressure on the pedal does not sound good.

Also, is there a moisture drain hole on the bottom of your clutch housing? Many times it will have a cotter key in it. If that gets plugged, moisture can build up inside the case.

EDIT: I just looked at the online drawing and there is a rubber cover on the inspection port on the left side of the clutch housing. I don't know how much you might be able to see or if it would be any help, but it is there as well as the cotter key in the condensation drain hole on the bottom of the housing.

The tractor is located near Palestine, TX (East TX piney woods country, so it is humid). The tractor is kept outside but under one of those portable garages (tarp on a metal frame), so it doesn't get rained on directly. The garage structure is open on the ends for ventilation. I will check the inspection port and drain hole and try to adjust the pedal. Thanks for the advice.