Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one?

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
This is sort of a 2 part question about economy PTO.

I can see the advantage of having the ability to run the tractor at a lower RPM while keeping the PTO at 540 RPM as usual., then being able to use full power for the implements that need all the power you have.

Question 1 is: I know JD has an economy PTO option on most of their tractors, but what other manufacturers offer a similar option in the CUT and utility size machines?

Question 2 is: I know some tractors have (or have the option of having) a 2 speed PTO on the rear PTO. Could this be used essentially the same way as the "economy PTO" by setting the PTO speed at 1000RPM but only operating the engine at 54% of the rated engine speed?

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #2  
On our previous tractor i used the hay tedder at 1000 PTO, at 1100 to 1200 engine rpm. On my current 3011 i use the ground speed PTO to drive the tedder at rated PTO speed at 1500 engine rpm. Too bad this eco PTO only works when driving in 4th gear, or at standstill... The 5th gear i use to drive a cordwood saw at 900 engine rpm.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #3  
#2 My 6415 has the 540/1000 PTO. I have not tried running 540rpm implements with the 1000rpm PTO, mainly because I do not have an adapter. I would think you would be too slow and lug your engine.

I think JD now offers 540 ePTO, 540 PTO, & 1000 PTO all on the same tractor. Not sure if they have a 1000 ePTO or not.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #4  
My little Bota had a two speed pto that was great for blowing snow. Moved up to a bigger JD4300 but now i must run the engine at full rpm to move any snow.....

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #5  
This is sort of a 2 part question about economy PTO.

I can see the advantage of having the ability to run the tractor at a lower RPM while keeping the PTO at 540 RPM as usual., then being able to use full power for the implements that need all the power you have.

Question 1 is: I know JD has an economy PTO option on most of their tractors, but what other manufacturers offer a similar option in the CUT and utility size machines?

Question 2 is: I know some tractors have (or have the option of having) a 2 speed PTO on the rear PTO. Could this be used essentially the same way as the "economy PTO" by setting the PTO speed at 1000RPM but only operating the engine at 54% of the rated engine speed?

First of all, a 2 speed (540/1000) cant be used in most instances to reduce engine speed and drive a 540 rpm machine. Some of the older iron had dual shafts 540 and 1000 rpm and the shafts were different splined. I dont know how many tractors today have this setup. Even with an adapter, the 1000 is just too fast so you have to run such a low throttle RPM that either your HP curve is too low or you risk lugging or you may carbon up your engine.
What you need is a 3 or more speed gear box on your PTO. My old 1984 Yanmar had a 4 speed gear box with single shaft with 1st being 540, 2nd 750, 3rd?cant recall and 4th being 1000 rpm . My LS P7010 has 3 speed gear with only a single shaft output with 540,750 &1000. I can run my bushhog in 750 RPM mode and reduce throttle to 60% power and save fuel. The 1000 rpm would mean that I would have to run about 1200 rpm which is too slow on the engine.
I have no idea who all makes new tractors with multi-speed gear boxes on their PTO since I have all the tractors and more than I would ever need, I quit looking at new tractors.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #6  
I have the 540/540E pto setup on my 4520, it is handy for alot of things, it will operate the tiller great at 1750 engine rpms' also helps with a 3PH spin spreader too. On the 4520 and 4720 IIRC you get about a 30% reduction in engine speed.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #7  
<snip>

I have no idea who all makes new tractors with multi-speed gear boxes on their PTO since I have all the tractors and more than I would ever need, I quit looking at new tractors.

I suspect nobody is selling new in the US with PTO speed > 540 RPM and a six tooth spline due to the potential for liability claims originating from some chowderhead running their brush hog in the high PTO speed ratio at PTO engine RPMs and taking someone out 750 feet away when they lauch a blade at transonic velocity with the inertia of a Krupp 88 round.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #8  
I am new to tractors getting ready to buy 1st one; JD 5065e. I see the 2013s may be offering an economy 540 PTO. If you do not have an economy PTO can you run your PTO at an engine speed ower than 2400 rpm (rated engine speed)? Doesn't it just reduce power (torque) of PTO and that os OK as long as you are not bogging engine down? I plan on using a bush hog and wood chipper and the 5065e tests out at >55 PTO hp. Do you need to run engine at 2400 rpm or just what ever you can get away with?

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one? #9  
I am new to tractors getting ready to buy 1st one; JD 5065e. I see the 2013s may be offering an economy 540 PTO. If you do not have an economy PTO can you run your PTO at an engine speed ower than 2400 rpm (rated engine speed)? Doesn't it just reduce power (torque) of PTO and that os OK as long as you are not bogging engine down? I plan on using a bush hog and wood chipper and the 5065e tests out at >55 PTO hp. Do you need to run engine at 2400 rpm or just what ever you can get away with?

You don't have to run at 2400 rpm you can run at 1500 rpm and get decent results too. To get the best cut though rotary mowers need to be run fast so operating them at their rated speed is usually recommended. That is with a standard pto.

If you have the economy pto you achieve the full 540 rpms at the pto at a lesser engine rpm, on my 4520 that is about 1740 to 1750 rpms. This would be good if the cutting is light to medium pastures grasses and will save some fuel. Depends alot on the mower size and grass conditions a little experimenting, trial and error to know what works best for you. For most general use mowing a field you should plan on running the pto near pto speed for best results. Same is true of the woodchipper both of these implements are highly dependent on inertia to get the job done and will work much better turning fast.

I have a neighbor just down the road from me who cranks up his Kubota to full speed and leaves it there the entire time he is using his tractor, doesn't matter what he is trying to do. He told me that tractors should always be run at full operating speed. My next door neighbor said he saw him trying to drill holes for a new driveway gate a few weeks back. Said it was entertaining to watch, from a distance.

/ Economy PTO vs. 540/1000rpm and does your tractor have one?

Certainly check out the 2013's because if I remember correctly, I think if you order the power reverser option it also includes the EPTO as standard. I may be wrong on this but check into it. I can really see the advantage of an economy PTO setting when your using different types of implements. I like the ability to use something that requires high horsepower however not have to use all that power on an implement that only needs half of what you have.

I thought that some New Hollands had an economy PTO option but now I'm not so sure? I'm surprised Kubota doesn't?