Tractor Sizing How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039.

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039. #1  

jkarst

Tractor
Mahindra 3016 Shuttle
I was ready to buy a Mahindra 3016. I was looking at the 3616 but decided I didn't need the additional 8 horsepower since the FEL and 3 point specs are the same between the two. DavesTractor was very helpful in that decision. Today, I decided to look at the LS Tractor for comparison. I spoke with the LS dealer about a G3033 which is priced similarly to the 3016. He said it wasn't enough tractor and suggested the R3039 for the additional horsepower.

I have about 6 acres of land (mostly weeds at this point). I need to move some dirt around next to the house to lower and flatten the area for grass. Will need to spread some asphalt grinding/base rock for the driveway. Plan to have a disc for much of the land that won't be landscaped. Plan to get a post-hole digger for putting up new fences. Beyond the initial things of just getting the landscape how I want, don't see much need for a bigger tractor. Don't plan to get a mower or a tiller at this point. It's a possibility down the road.

Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039. #2  
Welcome to forum and from your description, it sounds like DavesTractor was giving pretty good advice. That said, you won't find too many complaints about buying too BIG a tractor on here though.......I would think that maybe a box blade and rake would be a little better for the yard work you you described and would work well on the driveway also. Good luck!

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039. #3  
I would stick with Dave's Tractor and the 3016 should work fine for your uses. It is too light imo to disk with and get anything done but a 5' tiller would do fine.

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039. #4  
I have found (as Deerherd has stated, and much to my surprise) that a box blade is absolutely the most versatile and most used implement in the arsenal. Also, when I was in your boat, everyone told me "when in doubt, go bigger". I have never found, nor spoken with anyone who said that they had too much tractor!

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039. #5  
How much horsepower do you need.......as much as you can afford:D

Seriously though, it all depends on the tasks at hand. And it sounds as if your tasks are primarily ground-engaging tasks. In which, if the tractors are identical other than HP, the added HP would go mostly un-noticed and I would vote to save your money.

HP is really only of two benefits for CUT's. First being PTO driven implements. Tillers, mowers, and the like all chew up HP. those cases the added HP would be of great benefit.

The other would be towing at road gear. I do this often shuttling firewood with the trailers from about 3 miles away. Added HP is great for them hills. It may mean the difference between downshifting or not.

But for pulling a plow, disc, blade, etc. You will run out of traction long before power because these are typically done in a lower gear where you have power to spare.

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039.
I plan on getting a box blade. I went to look at the LS and speak to the dealer during my lunch break. He deals with a lot of farmers. He was trying to get me to go even BIGGER. He said the LS could only lift 2500 lbs with the 3 point and thought that wasn't enough.

Thanks for the input.

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039. #7  
With 6 acres of land, 30HP and 2500# of rear lift is pleanty

/ How much horsepower do I really need? Mahindra 3016 vs 3616 vs LS G3033 vs R3039. #8  
I plan on getting a box blade. I went to look at the LS and speak to the dealer during my lunch break. He deals with a lot of farmers. He was trying to get me to go even BIGGER. He said the LS could only lift 2500 lbs with the 3 point and thought that wasn't enough.

Thanks for the input.

Sounds like this dealer is fishing. He will sell you a 100 hp tractor if you visit him a few more times.