Distributor not turning after new oil pump

/ Distributor not turning after new oil pump #1  

RDKG2

Tractor
54 NAA
I replaced my oil pump in my 1954 naa started it up it ran for 15 seconds then quit found no spark and the rotor not turning. What did I do wrong and what will it take to fix it ????

/ Distributor not turning after new oil pump #2  
Did you prime the oil pump?

/ Distributor not turning after new oil pump
No not really .. I filled the pump before I bolted it in and I added oil on the filter side before installing the filter. I let the tractor turnover for about 30 seconds before starting

/ Distributor not turning after new oil pump #4  
Did you notice whether there was oil pressure while it was running? I would make sure the drive shaft between the distributor and oil pump is completely seated in the oil pump, otherwise, the distributor cannot be positioned properly. Additionally, with the distributor removed, check to make sure the oil pump can be turned.......I suppose it would be possible for something to jam the pump, causing the pin attaching the distributor drive gear to shear.

I did not remove the distributor and when I installed the pump it seemed to have to line up with the distributor and go into the shaft. I thought the oil pump ran off the distributor and the distributor was gear driven off the crank.

I did not see any oil pressure

/ Distributor not turning after new oil pump #7  
You are correct, the pump runs off of the distributor shaft........I am wondering whether something caused the gear pin (#11 in the diagram below) to shear.

Attachments

• naadizzy.gif
    naadizzy.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 3,128
   / Distributor not turning after new oil pump #8  
I do not know what engine you have, but on most engines the cam drives the distributor, and the distributor drives the oil pump.
If it fired, and ran and now the rotor does not turn while cranking, the distributor shaft could of broken 5% chance, the cam could have broken, the timing chain could be broken if it has one.
Very few engines have the crank drive the distributor if yours does please give me the make and model, I have a few old manuals.

/ Distributor not turning after new oil pump #9  
If the distributor pin shears it will still drive the oil pump, it will not keep the distributor, in time it may turn.

I guess I will pull the distributor out to see what happened to it. I tried to turn it by hand ... no luck