New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice?

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice? #1  

tpulley

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
Anyone have a 1435 and have some insight about things I should be mindful of? It is a 2008 72 inch cut. I will be cutting about 6 1/2 acres every week or two as needed. Much of that is in between rows of grapes, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries as well as about 100 orchard trees.

Thanks

Terry

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice? #2  
1400/1500 series units are a pretty good unit. Not a lot of changes to current series II units I believe. I liked them for cutting around obstacles as for the most part wherever that big deck fits then the back of the machine fits so no worrying about what is behind you to swing into. That is assuming there isn't nothing mounted to the back of the machine making it longer. Usually needed to keep an eye on the toe settings on steer wheels as in the proper position they wear the rear tires sooner than I think they should be worn but can't speak for sure on 2wd units if that is the same case.

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice? #3  
dealing for a 1565. dealer is bringing a 1435 (or 1445?) this weekend. Naturally, the bosslady gets all the fun - she gets first drive.
we have a 997 after owning a front-mount grasshopper. prefer front-mounts. the 997 is a mowing machine. even with the upgraded seat, ride is
far from the grasshopper - which you'd expect (front mount vs. mid-mount).

But, the clincher will be the rotary broom - miss having one - had one on the grasshopper - great for might-to-medium snow...beats plowing with the 3520
anyday...UNLESS, it's wet and lots of it.

Shall advise...weather permitting.

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice?
So far I am impressed with the manuvering and speed this mower does. I also like a lot having the deck out front where I can see it. It takes a little getting used to with the drive wheels in the back. I look like a drunk going down the rows.

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice? #5  
tpulley: How 'bout a video? I imagine I'll have the same problem - having wheels that steer behind you will take some getting use to.

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice? #6  
Short update: The local Deere dealer brought a 1435 for evaluation. The wife doesn't like the rear steering versus a front steer or the 997 ZTR. Son, who is a LCO manager,
does not like the rear steer either...too easy to bang the rear into something. He also dislikes the cutting height adjustment - PITA is essentially an accurate description...want to
lower or raise half an inch - What no dial to twist or level to adjust!

Not looking good. I haven't had my turn yet.

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice?
I will make a video or two shortly. It does take some getting used to, the rear wheel thing. But like anything else its doable. While it doesn't have the foot pedal and a flick of a dial to adjust the height. I find it doesn;t take me but about 15 seconds to change it. After I get off the tractor that is.

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice? #8  
Tpulley - Agree with you on the getting used to. Like driving a fork-lift - first few times...Look out! Wife complained when going from the mid-mount on the tractor to the 997; expected the same
from her with the tail steering. We don't change the cutting height but twice, maybe three times, per year.

I get my turn Friday - barring weather...regardless, I'm getting some seat time...gonna master the rear wheel steering.

Looking forward to viewing your video(s). Appreciate it.

/ New 2 me, J deer 1435 front mower any advice? #9  
Synopsis: I'm passing on the Deere front-mount (1565). Was disappointed with performance on wet slopes, even in 4wd. It's requires some time to trim around trees. The 997 just zips around and
leaves me with little to no trimming to do later. I would have brought it if:

a) the front-drive wheels were individually controlled like on a ZTR - separate lever for each versus a steering wheel for both.

b) larger rear drive wheels/tires. The standard ones remained me of something from a golf cart. Something close to the size of the fronts would be preferable -
to handle slopes, sloppy conditions, etc.

c) a rear bumper something akin to that offered on the 997. There was a fair amount of concern for crunching the rear cover when
negotiating trees.

I really wanted it, but the wife preferred the 997 and the Grasshopper front-mount (we traded-in on the 997).
Same for my son - who manages a LCO.