New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #1  

Kickstart70

Tractor
Massey Harris 44
Hello all,

My first post, because although I grew up with tractors and have been interested in tractors, this is the first time I've owned one :)

I just traded a boat (that I didn't want or need) for a Massey Harris 44. It's running, but not original or in the best shape. My questions, if anyone can help...

1. Where can I find the serial number plate? There are some numbers in the cast iron at the bottom of the transmission, but they don't appear to match the serial number format(s), so I don't know what year it is.
  2. It appears that someone hacked together a 3 point hitch at some point in the past. If I can get it working, this would be very useful to me to a post hole auger. I've attached a photo (sorry, it's not great)...can anyone tell me what's missing? I'm lucky I have a welder/machinist friend who can do some work for me if possible.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,404
   / New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #2  
You can find a lot of info on the MH 44 right here....TractorData.com Massey-Harris 44 Row-Crop tractor information
As you will see, it will tell you where to find the serials...they were made between '47 and '53...BIG 6 cly Contenintal engines...BIG gas tank to go with it...is your's tri-cycle or wide front...? Good luck with it and send more pics as you get squared away...Welcome...BobG in VA

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #3  
The 44-6 was the only model with the 6 cyl. The rest were 4 cyl., either Continental, or Massey engine. The 44 Special had a larger 4 cyl. engine.

The rear ends in them must have been pretty tough, as years ago lots of the first modified pulling tractors were 44's with V-8's adapted to fit, as were many Cockshutts.

My uncle had a 44 Special... Loved that ole' tractor..!!

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #4  
Welcome

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions
You can find a lot of info on the MH 44 right here....TractorData.com Massey-Harris 44 Row-Crop tractor information
As you will see, it will tell you where to find the serials...they were made between '47 and '53...BIG 6 cly Contenintal engines...BIG gas tank to go with it...is your's tri-cycle or wide front...? Good luck with it and send more pics as you get squared away...Welcome...BobG in VA

Thanks for that...good info there, definitely.

This has the "tricycle" front tires...I'll attach the other images I have to this post. The front grill is not original...I'm not exactly sure what it's from. The guy I got this from added the 'c'-beams and the beam coming out the front to attach a plow, but he said the tractor kept creeping up when he tried to push snow, so I don't know whether he had the bottom of the blade angled back or what he was doing. In the end, he broke the bar he attached, so my plan is to remove those modifications. I don't need to use this for plowing anyway.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions
It looks like the serial number plate is completely gone from that area; it's not on either side, by the way.

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #7  
Looks like a Farmall H grill. That is quite a sediment bowl..!! But sometimes you gotta' do, what you gotta' do... That Rockwood pulley looks to be in great shape..!!

Love those chains..!! Those will definitely bite into the ice..!! Rough on asphalt though...

It's a runner, that's the main thing. And considering, not that bad of shape cosmetic wise, as far as the original sheet metal, sans the grill not being original. Shouldn't be that tough to find one in a salvage yard, if you decide you may want one.

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #8  
Welcome to TBN---join the fun:)

That's a nice looking old girl. :thumbsup:

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #9  
Welcome to the forum. Very nice tractor. The farmall grill looks funny on there. Any time I see a fuel filter other than factory ones I have to think that there is rust in the tank.

/ New to tractor ownership and Massey Harris 44 questions #10  
Where can I find the serial number plate? There are some numbers in the cast iron at the bottom of the transmission, but they don't appear to match the serial number format(s), so I don't know what year it is.

I see from your photos that the frame beneath your engine is cast iron. Your pulley consists of a sandwich of paper bonded together with rivets. My 1951 Massey Harris 30 had one of those. A few years ago I bought a 1947 MH 30 which had the day, month, and year cast in large digits (3/4" high) into the tub supporting the engine. It read something like "4 11 47." This detail on the outside of the frame, if your 44 has it, would substitute for a serial number.