installing points in my jd 2010. help please.

/ installing points in my jd 2010. help please. #1  

Mikethefloorman

Tractor
John deere 2010
I just installed new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condenser. I have power to the coil but no fire at the plugs. I need help making sure the wiring is connected right in the distributor. 1965 jd 2010 with Prestolite distributor.

/ installing points in my jd 2010. help please. #2  
Check your rotor, did a 2010 a couple of years ago. Found out the rotor the JD dealer gave was just a little different. Swapped them out and it took right off.

/ installing points in my jd 2010. help please.
Thanks for your reply. It turns out I had the condenser wire connected at the adjustment screw on the points and the spring on the points should have been connected to the wire from the coil but wasn't. Once I got it right it came to life. First time it has ran in three years. Just bought it a couple of months ago dirt cheap. Oil pan was busted from water freezing in it for the last two years. Exhaust pipe was broken loose at the manifold letting water in. Believe it or not busted oil pan was the only damage. Everything seems to be doing fine with it. Running like a top now that I got the wiring straight.

/ installing points in my jd 2010. help please. #4  
Glad to here you got it running, I loved the 2010 we had. That thing would do anything asked of it.

/ installing points in my jd 2010. help please.
Yeah, I think it's going to make a great tractor. Still got a handful of odds and ends to fix but nothing major. If I can get the carburetor kit in and get it adjusted right it'll be ready to go. Everything else is either cosmetic or just accessories. Well, except for the three point hitch lever cable. It's froze up. Those crazy things are almost $400.00 from the jd dealer. I'll have to find a used one if I can't get it freed up.