Diesel in gas can

/ Diesel in gas can #1  

Slab

Tractor
Yanmar sc2400
Any harm in switching a plastic can that was used for gas to diesel ?

/ Diesel in gas can #2  
Any harm in switching a plastic can that was used for gas to diesel ?

I use 5 gal. plastic containers for gas or diesel can see by the color which fluid is inside.

Some worry about the safety of mixing fluids but maybe a cup when switching fluids. I don't think it will make a differance in this amount.
Then some states a color of container for each type of fluid. My thinking if some one steals my gas container and puts it in his diesel with out knowing by looks or smell that it's wrong fluid so should I worry.
if so maybe several containers of water to give them something think and pause next time.
ken

/ Diesel in gas can #3  
Only problem I am aware of is that some plastic containers are only suitable for petrol , putting diesel in is a no no

/ Diesel in gas can #4  
Are you the only one that uses that can?
If not, I'd clearly mark it DIESEL.

/ Diesel in gas can #5  
I have a plastic 5 gal. gas can that I use for diesel. I put some yellow paint on the top of it. You can always smell it to see if it is gasoline or diesel.

/ Diesel in gas can #6  
It really matters if you get them mixed up and pour gas in your diesel engine or vise versa.

/ Diesel in gas can #7  
Its illegal for one thing. Go buy a new diesel can and be done with it.

/ Diesel in gas can #8  
I really doubt that it is illegal as the only difference is the color. OSHA requires that all containers be clearly labelled. Writing "DIESEL" on the can will meet those requirements. IT could be white, clear or any color as long as it is labelled. OSHA isnt going to come on private property for inspection anyway to inspect your fuel containers since only you are using them. The colors are primarily for customer convenience of marking the different containers without the required labelling, but if you are on a commercial project, the color isnt enough, it has to have lettering on it to be legal.

/ Diesel in gas can #9  
I use a yellow can for my diesel, but sometimes if there is a big project or snow storm on the horizon I like to have a second can of fuel. Rather than buy a second yellow can, I use a red can. I made up 3" x 6" luggage tags out of 3/8 plywood scraps. I have one that reads Diesel. The tags have a loop of cord and I hang them on the red fuel can handle so I always know what is inside. I do the same for my 2 stroke mix. When not in use, the tags hang on a nail above the fuel cans.

/ Diesel in gas can #10  
I use a yellow can for my diesel, but sometimes if there is a big project or snow storm on the horizon I like to have a second can of fuel. Rather than buy a second yellow can, I use a red can. I made up 3" x 6" luggage tags out of 3/8 plywood scraps. I have one that reads Diesel. The tags have a loop of cord and I hang them on the red fuel can handle so I always know what is inside. I do the same for my 2 stroke mix. When not in use, the tags hang on a nail above the fuel cans.

Before we acquired a used 275 gallon tank for our diesel we used the same method for labeling containers. When fall came we added fuel stabilizer to the gas and added a 2nd tag so we would know the fuel was good to go come Spring.