Loader bucket wear fix or not?

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #1  

kyles974

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 with 200cx FEL...RM550 Woods Finish Mower...GradeMaster Grader....Ratchet Rake
Hey guys...my John Deere 2320 front end loader bucket seems to be getting alto more paper"play" in it. Of course its not new any more....but put 300 plus hard hours on the bucket digging etc..

I've noticed where the bucket attaches seems to be getting more ofwobble" now.

Should i be concerned about this?

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #2  
Is it a pin on or QA?

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not?
   / Loader bucket wear fix or not? #4  
They all will get a little sloppy, as the loader pins and bushing begin to wear and excessive digging or grading makes them worse (they are loaders, not excavators nor bulldozers).

The loader and bucket on my 770 is very loose, as the previous owner was a loader operator in a quarry and used the little tractor to dig, and plow snow while at home. It think he felt that it was a mini Cat 980. He worn out the bottom of the bucket in less than 1000 hrs!

That being said, any wear due to contaminated grease will make it much worse. Make sure to grease the loader on a regular basis, and ideally, each time its used.

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #5  
Pictures of yours would be a big help. But if yours is getting sloppy, either at the pins, or especially at the QA it needs looked at ASAP. The QA plates could be bending, and if the lock comes loose while you are lifting something, major damage could result.

There have been threads on here about QA's coming loose on one side and bending things badly.

They all will get a little sloppy, as the loader pins and bushing begin to wear and excessive digging or grading makes them worse (they are loaders, not excavators nor bulldozers).

The loader and bucket on my 770 is very loose, as the previous owner was a loader operator in a quarry and used the little tractor to dig, and plow snow while at home. It think he felt that it was a mini Cat 980. He worn out the bottom of the bucket in less than 1000 hrs!

That being said, any wear due to contaminated grease will make it much worse. Make sure to grease the loader on a regular basis, and ideally, each time its used.

Iv'e recently change to Schaeffer grease, this stuff is awsome. Glad I read about it here!

Pictures of yours would be a big help. But if yours is getting sloppy, either at the pins, or especially at the QA it needs looked at ASAP. The QA plates could be bending, and if the lock comes loose while you are lifting something, major damage could result.

There have been threads on here about QA's coming loose on one side and bending things badly.

I bet. ...with a load and one side breaks, I could see lots of $$$$$$

I will take a pic today and post it later this evening.

Had trouble loading some pics. One pic I wanted to show was the only visable wear I could see, which was where the cotter pin, or the pins that have the "flip" over circle thing. (sorry, my terminology/vocabulary stinks) (you can see the pin at the bottom of what I call "bracket" in the fist two pics)
Theres maybe 3mm of wear on the bracket, but not enough to cause this "play" I speak of.

The first pic below is showing the bottom part of the bracket that get's pinned into the bucket. Notice the small gap?

This second pic is showing AFTER I step onto the bucket. (bucket is resting on ground) Notice the gap is pretty much gone?

The third ond fouth pics are the top part. Where the bucket goes over the bracket "rods" or "shafts."
Now these "shafts" do look somewhat worn, BUT from what I see, they do NOT come out to replace????

I'm confused:confused:
The "brackets" dont look bent or out of line an any way. ....and this "wobble" or "play" has gradually got worse over time.

I just don't want to get it to worn where it cost more than if I would get it fix if needed to sooner.

jd pin pic.jpg

Here's the pic of the pin and lillte wear I was speaking of. (very little)

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #9  
Well right or wrong, here is what I do. I would weld a couple of beads around the base of the lower pins. This will prevent the adapter from moving forward quite as much, and the lynch pin will have less slop between itself and the back of the adapter bracket. I would also make sure the pins have not worn thin. Get some new ones to be sure. Weld some beads on the inside of the top upside down J brackets on the bucket on the bucket side. This will make the top adapter clearance between the bracket and the top tube that goes into this bracket less, and take up any slop.. Of course if you put too much bead, that is what they make grinders for. So for 10 minutes of welding, your slop problem is gone.. if it comes back as the welds wear down then break out the welder and grinder, and have at it again. Problem solved for couple bucks rod and electricity.

James K0UA

/ Loader bucket wear fix or not? #10  
Had trouble loading some pics. One pic I wanted to show was the only visable wear I could see, which was where the cotter pin, or the pins that have the "flip" over circle thing. (sorry, my terminology/vocabulary stinks) (you can see the pin at the bottom of what I call "bracket" in the fist two pics)
Theres maybe 3mm of wear on the bracket, but not enough to cause this "play" I speak of.

The first pic below is showing the bottom part of the bracket that get's pinned into the bucket. Notice the small gap?

This second pic is showing AFTER I step onto the bucket. (bucket is resting on ground) Notice the gap is pretty much gone?

The third ond fouth pics are the top part. Where the bucket goes over the bracket "rods" or "shafts."
Now these "shafts" do look somewhat worn, BUT from what I see, they do NOT come out to replace????

I'm confused:confused:
The "brackets" dont look bent or out of line an any way. ....and this "wobble" or "play" has gradually got worse over time.

I just don't want to get it to worn where it cost more than if I would get it fix if needed to sooner.
You have the QA bucket. on the first 2 pics, if you remove the silver pin, then tilt your bucket a smidge, and lower your loader arms, the bucket will come right off.

On pic 3, I'm not sure how much play should be there, but the gap seems awfully big.........that holds the top or your bucket to the QA.