When to plow?

/ When to plow? #1  

ddb123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bad Boy MZ 42"
I'm planning to expand my garden next year. I want to plow this fall so hopefully the freezes (if we get any) will kill the grass seeds. I live in SW MO and it's still getting into the mid 70s each day. When should I plow?

/ When to plow? #2  
This is the way that I do it. I plow the existing crop in the fall, apply manure, and run a drag over it. Then I plow and disc in the Spring. Others may do it differently.

/ When to plow? #3  
What I like to do is apply fertilizer after the ground temperature has dropped below 50 degrees and everything has stopped growing, then fall plow with a moldboard plow. Then in the spring run a tiller over it and start planting.

BTY, freezing temperatures won't kill weed and grass seeds in the garden, nothing will, not even fire. Plowing and tilling just moves them around a bit. They can remain dormant for decades.

/ When to plow? #4  
If your in the "mood" you can plow whenever you want, if weeds start again before frost, plow that sucker again. Good time to add any compost , like leaves or whatever you want so they can start breaking down, you can even plant a winter crop, like oats or wheat, then plow that in in the Spring, any compost usually will help your dirt.

I'm with the other guys, cold wont hurt seeds, a pre-emergent is the only way I know of to really stop some growth, but that isn't always 100%

/ When to plow?
Thanks for the tips, guys. I am disappointed to hear that the seeds won't die. I think I will wait until it gets a little colder to plow so that the weeds and grass will hopefully be done growing for the year. Thanks!

/ When to plow? #6  
I like to plow before the ground freezes, then disk after the ground thaws out in the spring then till and plant. I find that letting the roots be exposed on the plants after plowing helps kill them down as the frost attacks them. I'll probably plow this weekend if I get a chance.

/ When to plow? #7  
I am going to plow Monday before the rain starts. We have had almost no rain for the last 2 months. This is a new garden area, so will be breaking up the sod that I have been spraying with Gyposate (round-up) all summer long. Will be laying down manure after the first plowing, then plowing and then tilling for next years garden. 30x50 feet. Still putting up the fencing as I can find it for free.

/ When to plow? #8  
Plow it anytime this fall. Just plow and don't add any amendments prior to plowing. Plowing with a moldboard plow inverts the soil profile and everything you put on top of the soil will now be at what ever depth you plowed. Add amendments in the spring just prior to tilling (except you can spread lime on after you plow and leave it till next spring)

Turning over the soil with a plow will kill most everything (hey there are always exceptions). One it should roll and invert the soil profile. And two, once established, most roots will not survive the plow as they are in the wrong orientation after plowing to continue growing. You will expose additional weed seeds and they can be controlled if growing with a spot spray of RoundUp.

Never plow twice. You are undoing what you already accomplished the first time.