Painting tin/ metal roofing

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #1  

plowindeeper

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 4610
I re-topped my shed and barn with some new "discount" painted tin that I bought from a woman off craigslist last year. Looked to be as good as any metal roofing I've ever bought. Now it's completely rusted looks to be 20 years old. What could I paint it with. Thought about Kool-Seal.

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #2  
I re-topped my shed and barn with some new "discount" painted tin that I bought from a woman off craigslist last year. Looked to be as good as any metal roofing I've ever bought. Now it's completely rusted looks to be 20 years old. What could I paint it with. Thought about Kool-Seal.

Could try some silver paint. This seem to stick better than some water based paint.
I have used seal kote sealer when there is a leak and after about a year it has become dull in looks.
The tin you purchased was it a alumcoat type metel.
Fairly light weight. ?
ken

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #3  
Kool Seal is an excellent choice. Used on mobile homes too.

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing
Tin is white paint on top gold on bottom. Quote from metal roof supplier in town, a mega supplier for half the state, was 4 times the price what I paid. You get what you pay for. I have bought roofing there that is 10 years old and still looks great. This cheap stuff is about a year old and looks 20. It is ribbed different than any tin I've ever saw. The guy that helped me put it up, a out of work contractor, said it was the thinnest he'd ever installed. I told him what i paid for it and he went and bought enough for his barn to and his is also rusted.

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #5  
I painted very rusty steel roofing with Rustoleum silver colored paint. I forget the exact name but it's not much thicker than water and really got into every nook and cranny. Seems to be holding up fine and in a common paint for metal roofs around here.

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #6  
I agree with Rustoleum - I used the light brown Metal Primer (oil-based) on my rusty shed roof 3 years ago and it looks great.

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #7  
I traveled tru Illinois and Indiana last spring. It amazed me that the bins on the farms were fresh painted and looked like new. They all were a silver collor.

I wanted to ask this forum if someone knows what paint is used in Illinois and Indiana for farm bins. Make, type and cost.

Expert reply would greatly be apreciated.

Thanks, Bert

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #8  
I believe it to be the aluminium or silver Rustoleum product I mentioned a couple posts earlier. It's very thin and watery and flows great. I can't say for certain that's what is used in IN and IL but grain bins around here are commonly painted with the stuff. Farm stores all sell something like the second one and it works fine and is brighter.

Rust Oleumョ 3415 Aluminum Paint, 1 Gallon?::?Oil Based Enamels (Gallons)?::?Paints & Coatings?::?HeavyDutyStore.com Here's the Rustoleum. I think it's the higher price option but is a little dull..

Premium Aluminum Paint - 5 Gallon?::?Aluminum Paint?::?FarmPaint.com This works as well and is brighter with a lower cost..

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #9  
paint2.jpg

Tool a cell phone pic at local store. This is one brand of the stuff.

/ Painting tin/ metal roofing #10  
Be tempted to scrub them with old sump oil:)