1979 Satoh Buck

/ 1979 Satoh Buck #1  

tvanstee

Tractor
John Deere 2950, 1979 Satoh Buck
Hi, I have a 79 Satoh Buck with a Mitsubishi K3B diesel engine, 3-point hitch and its a 2 wheel drive. I recently purchased this lawn mower and it was running very well. I was cutting grass with it the other day and it suddenly stalled on me. After numerous attempts to restart it I pulled it into the shop and put new glow plugs in it due to the single digit weather I thought this may be the problem. However it still doesn't want to start after doing this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

/ 1979 Satoh Buck #2  
That is a pretty reliable diesel engine, and standard diesel troubleshooting works with it. 1) Check the air filter to make sure it isn't clogged; 2) Make sure there is fuel flowing to the engine, so that can be checked by loosening the three steel fuel lines at the injectors and cranking it to see if fuel squirts out the loose fittings. If both of those things check out, I would check the compression and see if it is high enough to get the diesel engine started. Oh, and feel the glow plugs and make sure they are getting hot after 10 or 15 seconds.

/ 1979 Satoh Buck #3  
Two questions come to mind: Did it stall under load, or just quit like the fuel solenoid or cable suddenly shut off your fuel supply? Two, why are you mowing in single digit temps?
Seriously, this sounds like a fuel system change. Glow plugs only help with the starting, but wouldn't cause the engine to stop while running.
Jim

/ 1979 Satoh Buck #4  
My guess is ice in the fuel bowl, stopping up the filter and flow of diesel. Have you had this one long? No solenoid on this tractor, I have a Buck too.

Edit: By the way, welcome to TBN, and there is a Satoh/Mitsubishi forum on this site too! Lots of good help there.

Last edited:
   / 1979 Satoh Buck #5  
I think the OP's use of single-digit temps refers to Celsius, so ice is not likely a player here. However, crud in the fuel delivery system remains in play.

/ 1979 Satoh Buck #6  
Right about the ice, too warm there. I'd look for crud. Had to change the filter on my gray Beaver a few weeks ago. It was still running but not good.

/ 1979 Satoh Buck
I was mowing under a fairly heavy load, I was doing the last mow of the season before winter, I was talking about single digit C temperatures. I will look into the fuel system a bit more and tell you how I made out. I have already checked for air in the line and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I will have to try a compression test next to see if that is possibly it. It gives off a small amount of white smoke when I try to turn it over if that helps at all in my description. I will let you know how I make out.
ps. thanks for welcoming me oliver28472

/ 1979 Satoh Buck #8  
White smoke usually means you are getting fuel but check the filter if you haven't already and bleed again before you do a compression check. Are you sure the glow plugs are working? Lots of discussion about that here that can be found by search.