Changing the antifreeze, how much do I need?

/ Changing the antifreeze, how much do I need? #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
The manual says to change the antifreeze every year, but I've never done it. So, I decided I'd better do it this year. The manual doesn't say what the capacity is (or at least I can't find it). How much will I need for a Class II Boomer?

/ Changing the antifreeze, how much do I need? #2  
Danny,

For comparison, the Class III's use 7.8 - 8.4 gallons depending on size.

Re-check your manual, right at the front of the specifications section to see if its listed there. My TC35D manual lists all the fluid acapcities on one page, then goes into details on each system on the following pages.

Good luck....

/ Changing the antifreeze, how much do I need?
tc35dforme - "the Class III's use 7.8 - 8.4 gallons"

8 gallons - Yikes! Are you sure that's not qts? I did finally find it in my manual on page 4-1. I guess I missed it the first time through because on another page it lists various specs about the cooling system, but doesn't give the capacity. The capacity is only listed in the table of capacities for all the various fluids. Anyway, it says 4.2 qts.

/ Changing the antifreeze, how much do I need? #4  
Mosey,

Quarts >>> Gallons....what's the difference /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Don't we all get too hung up specifics !! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry it IS quarts...but aren't there 5 gallons in a quart...or is it 2.2 pounds to a gallon...where's my cheat sheet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey...look at it this way... you would have been all set for the next 6 years if you bought fluid based on my numbers.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey...look at it this way... you would have been all set for the next 6 years if you bought fluid based on my numbers.)</font>

True, and I would have saved money in the long run because I'm sure it will cost quite a bit more in 6 years! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, I hate to admit this, but I never did get around to changing the antifreeze/coolant last year. I finally did at the 350 hour service, which I finished yesterday. My manual is wrong, it took way more than 4.2 qts. It took about 1 1/2 gallons. The "old" antifreeze/coolant still looked like new.

/ Changing the antifreeze, how much do I need? #7  
1952 Massey Ferguson Diesel - How much antifreeze to bring down to 0 F protection? I live in South... don't get too cold"

Thanks!