Tire Upgrade

/ Tire Upgrade #1  

spd163

Hi guys, I'm new here but have been reading for a couple of weeks...anyway, my question is:
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to upgrading to a larger tire?
I have a Ford 1510 2wd and the 5.00x15 tires on front seem a little small for the overall size of the tractor, and was wondering if a wider front tire would help with the steering. The front wants to dig/plow into the ground when I'm trying to work with the box blade or other implements. I've got a little extra weight on the front so I'm sure that's contributing to the problem. My concern is if a wider front tire or something besides the Tri-Rib type would help to keep the tires on top of the ground so that I can steer.
As for the back of the tractor, it currently has 9.5x24 R1's and I want to know of any drawbacks to increasing the width of the tire in the back as well.
Again, any help/insight you all can provide is greatly appreciated...I've learned lots from everyone so far and look forward to your suggestions.

/ Tire Upgrade #2  
spd163,
Welcome a board, /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gifbut you didn't finish filling out your bio. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

A wider tire maybe something in the lines of a turf tire would be better than tri-rib rires,for turning easier..steering w/no power steering..working the FEL.

Should beable to increase the width of the rear tires....are saying something like jumbo turf tires?

If you use rear tire chains on the rear and you should increase the rear tires,make sure you measure to see if you have enough room.

Try and keep your rear tires outside measure no wider than the FEL width.

I run turf tires on my compact Kubota.

There are more pros an cons about wide vs narrow,but it the long run its what makes you feel comfortable.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tire Upgrade #3  
Thomas sorry but playing around one day I found that the tri-rib turns easier than the turf tires. To change the tires around on your tractor is your option. Taller tires change the speed of the tractor per gear, if you change the width you would be changing loads on the axle's. You can do most anything as far as the tires and it would still work and the life would not be changed much unless you throw in some abuse.

/ Tire Upgrade #4  
art,
Good point well taken!! How about if one doesn't have power steering and using there FEL on soft ground,
thats the main reason I switch to turf tires.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tire Upgrade #5  
Thomas when I was 13 IH had just introduced the 424 tractor, I was in heaven it was my size and very driveable. When 30 I picked up a basket case and put it together. Did the steering twice not believeing I had gotten so weak. The tractor had triple ribs on it that were well worn to nearly bald never thinking it could be the tires. Well in the woods one day cutting my fire wood had one of those unfortunate things called a flat. Luckily I was 1/4mile away from the store and I mounted up the next size larger triple rib. On the way home with the tractor I felt a big difference so on Monday morning I had the other one with me to mount. That nite I felt what I had remembered. This tractor had armstrong power steering and no loader and the new triple ribs made a big difference in ease of steering.

/ Tire Upgrade #6  
You increase the surface area on tires and you will have harder steering. Soft ground is a tough call cause I like big tires for floatation.