Buying Advice Bought the 4105

/ Bought the 4105 #1  

BuzzardA91

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4105. 375 Backhoe. 2005 Polaris Ranger
Hello-

I posted my first thread looking for help in buying a new tractor. I weighed everyone's input carefully. I am amazed not only the knowledge but that people took the time ( and a lot of it ) to help. Responses were quick and thoughtful. Many even helped research and others were from personal experience.

I decided on Deere because of the "no charge" 48 month financing, reputation, dealership network, and the fantastic dealership I bought from (LOMAC East Windsor). Massey dealership was great and seemed like great tractor. They just were not flexible on financing. If you financed any part you had to pay MSRP. Kubota dealer was horrible for my area and the New Holland one just went out of business. Looked at all the brands but ended up deciding on staying with the more mainstream brands. Price was not that much different at the end of the day.

I went with the 4105 over the 3320 or 4120. For me ground clearance is needed and a huge difference between the 3320 and the 4150. I learned 4105 is basically a 3320 with 4k series tires and less options. Also it has a Hydro tranny vs the eHydro as on the other two. I liked the simplicity of the Hydro and the 4105. I had a gear tractor and was on the fence but man the Hydro is nice. It seemed to me the 4105 was stronger and you got more for your money then the 3320. Loader lift, engine, and PTO are all more on 4105 for less money. The 3320 is nice and drives like a dream I just needed ground clearance. Thanks again to BleedGreen for providing all the information, comparisons, and answers to my questions 4 of my local dealers couldn't answer.

Many suggested I step up to the 4120. If money were no issue that would have been the call. It ended up being about 7k+ more to go up to the 4120 and I already was way over where I wanted to be when I initially started. I know if there is no pic it didn't happen so here it is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I bought the 4105 with the 385 hoe, 300cx loader, Frontier 2072 rotary cutter, HD 6' bucket, cylinder guards for backhoe, ballast box, rear work lights, vertical exhaust, bucket hook, R4 tires, and grill guard. The dealer also gave me a used set of JD forks and delivered it with a full tank for $35,000 (ouch).

I put 21 hours on it in two weekends and couldn't be happier so far. I'm sure there are better tractors and better deals etc, but this works great for me!

Ill post pics of first few projects next.

Thanks again to all

Last edited:
   / Bought the 4105 #2  
Great choice. I like the backhoe!
I purchased my new 4105 last Thanksgiving. It is perfect for my needs and I have no regrets. I also looked at many other makes -- MF was more expensive in my area. The HST makes loader much more productive. I have a grapple in addition to the bucket.

Attachments

• image-1472285336.jpg
    image-1472285336.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 302
   / Bought the 4105 #3  
Congratulations, that is a nice looking tractor.

/ Bought the 4105 #4  
Congrats.

Have you done any pasture mowing yet? If so, how did it do? The 4105 was what I was originally looking at, but I am now not so sure the 40 hp will be enough, based on the great feedback received here.

/ Bought the 4105
KRY226 this is my first rotary cutter but it seems to do well. I mowed my field (3 acres or so) and experimented with speed. Pretty much went fast as I felt comfortable with. Never made any funny noises and cut great. I also cleared some small area with saplings and brush. Nothing was an issue. Just went slow on those parts. Someone else I'm sure could give you a better review. I have nothing to compare it to, I just know it worked great for me.

I ended up getting the Frontier 6' vs the MX5 or 6 based on suggestions received in earlier threads. The MX6 was on the higher limit of the 3 point hitch and I wanted a 6' to cover the 66" wheel width. Don't regret it. Plenty heavy duty for what I need.

/ Bought the 4105 #6  
Congratulations on the new tractor, please remember to call 811 for locates when digging near the property lines or your own utility lines. That is a nice rig for your uses.

/ Bought the 4105 #7  
I notice you chose the top exhaust -- is there an advantage to that?

/ Bought the 4105 #8  
KRY226 this is my first rotary cutter but it seems to do well. I mowed my field (3 acres or so) and experimented with speed. Pretty much went fast as I felt comfortable with. Never made any funny noises and cut great. I also cleared some small area with saplings and brush. Nothing was an issue. Just went slow on those parts. Someone else I'm sure could give you a better review. I have nothing to compare it to, I just know it worked great for me.

I ended up getting the Frontier 6' vs the MX5 or 6 based on suggestions received in earlier threads. The MX6 was on the higher limit of the 3 point hitch and I wanted a 6' to cover the 66" wheel width. Don't regret it. Plenty heavy duty for what I need.

Thanks!

I notice you chose the top exhaust -- is there an advantage to that?

Another 4105 owner mentioned that the fan blows a lot of the underhood exhaust right back at the operator. The vertical exhaust fixes or at least reduces that.

/ Bought the 4105 #9  
Congratulations on your new tractor; very nice indeed.:thumbsup:

/ Bought the 4105
Agreed in the exhaust. My neighbor has a new HD with under hood exhaust and hated it. Breathed in exhaust whole time and blackened the hood. He went with the vertical exhaust and highly recommended it. I took the advice and did it right off to avoid issue. Dealer said it is a pretty common upgrade.