Break-In Plus after 100hrs?

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #1  

BOC

Tractor
John Deere 3038e
Anyone putting Break-In oil back in after the first 100hrs? I have done a search and people seem to be all over the board on this. I have a new 3038e and just did the first oil change at 50hrs. I put Break-In Plus back in for the next 50 and plan to change over to regular oil at 100hrs. Just wanted to see what the new consensus is on this. Also, can anyone point me to where it says in any manual to do the hydraulic oil change also at 50hrs. My search has revealed that this seems to be somewhat of a common practice, but I cannot find it anywhere in my manuals.

Thanks guys in advance! I do appreciate the responses.

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #2  
Dealer did the 100 hour service on mine earlier this year. According to the invoice, he put in 6qts of straight 15W40 and only 1 qt of Low Vis. But I also see $149 for a filter kit. Next time I'm in his area, I have to check that out. Cuz the filter kit includes 2 oil, 1 air, 1 hydraulic, and 1 fuel. I wasn't given an oil filter to take home, and - if they changed the hydraulic filter - it must have been done without changing the fluid itself.

//greg//

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #3  
Read your maintenance guide.

IIRC, Engine oil and filter change at 100 hrs using regular oil.

Hydraulic fluid and filter change is not due until 500 hrs. I believe the fuel and air filters are also due at 500, unless you are operating in "severe" conditions.

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #4  
I always find the best thing to do is ask your dealer what to do. My NH and JD dealers always stated to run the tractor hard for 50 to 60 hours and then change the oil with 15W40. I have always used either the New Holland's 15W40 in my New Holland tractors or John Deere's 15W40 oil in my John Deere tractor; never had an issue with my engines. When it comes to engine oil and what to do, many on here will have different opinions. As for the hydraulic oil change, I would again ask your dealer what would be the right change interval. I know my hydraulic oil will not need to be changed until 400 hours.

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #5  
If your engine is not using any oil at the end of the 100hrs then switch to regular oil otherwise keep using breakin oil until it stops using oil. JD is quite explicit in regards to the use of break in oil.

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #6  
I've read my operator and maintenance manual as I'm approaching 100 hours and I'm on the fence as to using Break-In Plus for another 100 hours. My tractor is not using any oil (never did), but I don't feel I have been working it hard enough to fully break it in. Of the 92 hours I got on it right now, I would say that only 15 or so have been spent running at near WOT and putting a good load on it. The rest of the time has been spent at 1700 rpm (540E) cutting fields with a rotary mover or disking or just doing FEL work at 1200 rpm or so. My gut says to just switch to regular oil and not worry about it.

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs?
I changed it early because it had been in there for over a year. The tractor gets limited use and with 56hrs on her the first 12 months I thought it a good time to do the oil change for winter and another few months of no use. Bad idea? I put JD Break-In Plus back in.

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #9  
I did my oil change on my 3032e at about 25 hours .I also changed the front axle fluid it came out kinda dark I did put Break-In Plus back in. I have a little over 80 hrs now and still have that oil in there and it does not use any oil and will change over at the 100 hr mark.I changed my Hydraulic fluid and filters before the 50 hr mark i dont know if it really needed it fluid was clean but its cheap insurance .

/ Break-In Plus after 100hrs? #10  
I changed it early because it had been in there for over a year. The tractor gets limited use and with 56hrs on her the first 12 months I thought it a good time to do the oil change for winter and another few months of no use. Bad idea? I put JD Break-In Plus back in.

I'm in the same boat as you. I changed mine on the JD 3520 at 60 hrs. because it had been a year. I believe the manual says 200 hrs. or a year.

I'm at 125 hrs now a year later and don't know if I should use break-in oil again or go with regular oil.

Oil is always bright and on the mark. I have run it harder this year bushogging a two acre lot once a month since May.

The JD service dept. was ready to put in regular oil after the first 60 hr change but I wanted the break-in oil because I hadn't run it that hard up to that point. I'm sure they will say its ready for 15W-40 oil this time.

I might just go with whatever they tell me.