Need help understanding Massey Ferguson transmissions

/ Need help understanding Massey Ferguson transmissions #1  

ArcherXC

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Massey Ferguson 135
I'm new here and to tractors as a whole. I have a lot of auto experience so mechanical things come fairly easy if I understand how it works. That's my problem with MF transmissions. I am seriously looking at buying a MF 165 with multipower but I do not know what to look for in proper tranny operation. There is a lot of info on the net, but it is bit and piece in nature. Can someone please help me understand these trannys a little better? Here's what I would like to know.

- Do all MF165's have two stage clutches even if they have multipower?
- Can you shift these tractors while moving? I have read a couple of posts saying, "no."
- Should a bush hog slow down when shifting gears? If not what would cause this issue?
- I am assuming that depressing a two stage clutch would disengage the tranny first an then the PTO, am I correct?
- How do I know if the multipower is working or not?
- How far should the clutch be depressed before the tranny is disengaged but the pto stays running?
- Is either one of the diesel engines better than the other?

There are probably more questions but I don't want to be a pain. If anyone wants to explain more than what is asked please do so. I am really interested. I apologize if these questions seem elementary so thank you in advance for your time and help.

/ Need help understanding Massey Ferguson transmissions #2  
i would suggest getting your hands on a operators manual for the transmission questions to go along with what others may know about the MF165. I owned a MF135 with multipower and two stage clutch. The first stage disengages the transmission, the second stage disengages the PTO. I never could shift the transmission while moving. Not sure how the multipower works but i do know that it gives you extra gear range in low and high range. Again, i would get the operators manual and read it to understand more about the tractor.

/ Need help understanding Massey Ferguson transmissions #3  
I had a 165 with multipower and it really adds alot of difficulty when working on the tractor and can be very dangerous in hilly terrain if not working or understood.

/ Need help understanding Massey Ferguson transmissions
Am I correct that the MF165's that had the optional IPTO would not have the 2 stage clutch?