Thinking ahead

/ Thinking ahead #1  

MikeA57

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1510
This is new territory for me (thinking ahead, that is) but one of the guys in our club and I were talking about taking one of the larger areas (well over an acre and maybe close to 2) that we didn't plant this fall and clearing it next spring and planting it in corn for the deer. This of course will depend greatly on the likelihood of flooding since our hunting area is inside the levee and in 2011 the river rose to the halfway point on the levee which put our whole property under water 12-15'. But then I got to wondering if corn would be the best crop for a summer crop. Would the deer like milo better? What about sunflowers? Which would be the least expensive and the most drought tolerant if we have another summer like this one? This is my first trek into planting food plots so I'm still learning.

/ Thinking ahead #2  
Its not the least expensive but chicory is a good drought tolerant crop for summer food plots. I'm not sure I've ever heard of deer browsing sunflowers?

/ Thinking ahead #3  
I think it is a great idea. I have been wanting to plant corn and then cut strips to plant peas followed by velvet beans. I have not evidence this will work but I like it. The corn strips give some comfort to ole sad daddy and the velvet beans are better than soy beans ( I am told by trusted friend ). They grow up corn and crack open during the fall. The peas put back N and you have all most year round plot. The cost is all up to what you buy but last year seed is a deal.
Right now I have an acre of strawberries to help feed us and I am fighting deer everyday. But strawberries def ain't cheap!! :) I will keep an eye on the thread as I am very interested in all ideas.

/ Thinking ahead #4  
I have been doing food plots for over 20 years, tried about everything. One of the best is forage soybeans. Planted in early may. Deer like it when its green in the spring and summer. Right now they are in the beans everyday. This year I have 2- two acre plots. They should last the deer well into the spring green up.

/ Thinking ahead #5  
Buckwheat is about the best I've seen, but it only grows in certain areas. Soybean second.

/ Thinking ahead #6  
Thousands of acres of soybeans and corn around me. Wouldn't do me much good to plant soybeans or corn. Ladino clover works well. Alfalfa even better. The clover is cheaper and much more durable than alfalfa.