Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested?

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #1  

EverythingAttachments

Elite Member
Tractor
Which One do you want to know about?
I have been thinking about this and wanted to see how much interest there would be. This is an idea I would borrow from Ikea, the discount furniture store where you get a box full of parts and instructions and assemble everything yourself EXCEPT my idea has to do with what we all love. Build-a-bear? nope....... TRACTOR ATTACHMENTS!!!!

How many people out there would be interested in ordering a kit to build your own attachments(box blade, scrape blade, disc harrow etc.)??
Our components are cut and indexed by our plasma cutter or laser so they fit together perfectly with little room for error. As long as you have the mechanical ability, a square, a flat surface to work on, as well as a welder then this may be for you. I would also include an assembly video along with all of the nuts/bolts and other hardware needed to build your attachments. You would also be able to paint(not included) your attachment whatever color you choose.
Besides the feeling of accomplishment when you've finished building your own attachment, you will have also saved yourself some money which I think we all are for!!
The kits would be limited to products that we build at our facility here in NC and the list of those attachments is growing all the time.

Let me know what you guys think of this. It's only an idea now and I'd like to know if we can turn it into something!

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #2  
Sounds interesting. How much of a price difference would there be between the "Kit" and the "Assembled product"?

Aaron Z

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #5  
I think this is brilliant.

Sort of the original IKEA idea (back when they were making everything in Sweden).
They saved huge amounts of shipping volume & warehouse cost by knocking everything down and shipping the most minimum volume possible.

You might even avoid some trucking fees by shipping several under 75lb packages via UPS - not sure how that would wash out, cost wise, but I wouldn't need to go to a freight terminal to get my implement.

One of the biggest obstacles for me in making my own implements is my limited machining/forming/cutting capabillities. With your equipment (like that new,Star Wars laser rig) you must be able to punch out parts like makin' sugar cookies.

Then there's the expense of trying to buy a few feet each of steel in various cross sections, since I can't buy steel in bulk quantities/lengths.

Tell us more!

Jim

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #6  
I like this idea.
It would be great if you could make a kit that could be assembled in more than one way to allow users customize on assembly.

Or just include the special parts, and let the customers use localy sorced angle iron, channel, and I beams.

Last edited:
   / Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #8  
Well, in theory I like the idea.
From a manufacturing standpoint, I think you would have to realize that not everybody has an extremely powerful welder, as you do. Thus, the kits would have to be modified to have parts bolt up, maybe not be welded. What would you do if someone welded as instructed, but it was a poor weld, and the equipment broke and the owner claimed that he had done a perfect welding job and that the problem was in the design/materials?? Me, I'd KNOW my welding was at fault, but I'm not everybody.

Price wise, the kit would have to compete with used items from various sources. Your target customer has tools, is handy, a welder, mechanical knowledge about how things work and a willingness to spend time on messing with his equipment. People buy new when they are outside these parameters.

Just my first thoughts.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #9  
By all means, you should do it, Ted.

You probably already know about Metkit Corp and their website, Metkit.com.
They did not exist when I built my CADDigger back in the mid 90s. I would
have bought more pre-cut and pre-drilled parts if they were available.

I especially expect that you would get a lot of interest in backhoe thumb kits,
backhoe rippers, and FEL bucket grapple kits. Not to mention FEL forks.

Years ago when I had a bunch of backhoe thumb parts made up for me at a
CNC plasma shop, I had a lot of interest from buyers of a weld-it-yourself kit.
I sold a few, but exhausted my interest. You could be the go-to shop for
these and other kits.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #10  
I like the idea. I have built several small tools and it gives me the "warm and fussy feeling".