1720d front wheel drive problem

/ 1720d front wheel drive problem #1  

Eagles eye

Tractor
Massey 35
Well, I have removed the cover on the front wheel drive shaft and the front portion where it hooks to the front diff is spring loaded. I depressed it and the shaft came away from the front spline. Two issues....when I move the front spline it is engaging the front wheels so I will assume the diff is good. When I removed the rear part of the shaft from the drop box it has ball bearings that seem to fit in the spline. Again, assuming that is what drives/engages the shaft. The front spline had no ball bearings so now I am noting that this may be the problem with the I operational front wheel drive.
Question, is it common for these balls to fall out over time with wear? If so is it as simple as replacing them and reinstalling the shaft? Also, the output seal on the drop box is leaking oil and there seems to be some metal shavings around the outside, assuming from the ball bearing wearing down in that end of the shaft? Will replace all bearings
W

Also

/ 1720d front wheel drive problem
Eagles eye said:
Well, I have removed the cover on the front wheel drive shaft and the front portion where it hooks to the front diff is spring loaded. I depressed it and the shaft came away from the front spline. Two issues....when I move the front spline it is engaging the front wheels so I will assume the diff is good. When I removed the rear part of the shaft from the drop box it has ball bearings that seem to fit in the spline. Again, assuming that is what drives/engages the shaft. The front spline had no ball bearings so now I am noting that this may be the problem with the I operational front wheel drive.
Question, is it common for these balls to fall out over time with wear? If so is it as simple as replacing them and reinstalling the shaft? Also, the output seal on the drop box is leaking oil and there seems to be some metal shavings around the outside, assuming from the ball bearing wearing down in that end of the shaft? Will replace all bearings
W

Also

Also, how do I replace the seal in the output of. The drop box?

/ 1720d front wheel drive problem #4  
Also look closely at the spring and make sure the balls seat on the shaft as they should, i found the spring broken and mine and while it looked like it was functioning it was not holding the balls tight in position and the eventually fell out.
Just a thought,not sure about the front but mine had balls (6) on each end

Keep us posted

/ 1720d front wheel drive problem #5  
You have a good understanding of it. Balls do go front and rear. Do you have a manual or have you seen this parts drawing? Yanmar Tractor Parts: 4WD INTERNAL

You should be able to look at your drop box seal with the drive shaft removed and deternmine whether it can be pulled without removing the drop box from the transmission. Make sure you check the drop box shaft for tightness making sure the bearings are ok.

I really don't know how bad these balls are to wear but I have read of quite a few facing the same senerio you are.

grainger12002 said:
Also look closely at the spring and make sure the balls seat on the shaft as they should, i found the spring broken and mine and while it looked like it was functioning it was not holding the balls tight in position and the eventually fell out.
Just a thought,not sure about the front but mine had balls (6) on each end

Keep us posted

Good catch on the spring. Mine is in fact broken. Thanks

winston1 said:
You have a good understanding of it. Balls do go front and rear. Do you have a manual or have you seen this parts drawing? Yanmar Tractor Parts: 4WD INTERNAL

You should be able to look at your drop box seal with the drive shaft removed and deternmine whether it can be pulled without removing the drop box from the transmission. Make sure you check the drop box shaft for tightness making sure the bearings are ok.

I really don't know how bad these balls are to wear but I have read of quite a few facing the same senerio you are.

Thanks.i think it can be pulled without dropping box. I ordered a new seal, rubber covers, ties and balls. When I get the seal it will better tell me if that is the case.
I'll check the shaft play as well. Thanks for the insight.

winston1 said:

I looked at he drawing. Think I might order a manual for future use. I gave only had this tractor a month and think its a keeper. Moved 17 ton of gravel last week and dug out about 2000 sf of sod. Going to hook up 5ft finish mower this week to see how it does.

Thinking about ordering turf wheels and tires....any thoughts?

/ 1720d front wheel drive problem #9  
I have thought about the turf wheels and tires but $$ get in my way. :drool: Also not fully convinced they would work well with my gardening implements.

winston1 said:
I have thought about the turf wheels and tires but $$ get in my way. :drool: Also not fully convinced they would work well with my gardening implements.

That is my concern. I do mow about 4acres of yard and it would ride much better. Just concerned about traction in the garden and snow. Maybe someone with experience with this will respond. $$$ are an issue but my uncle owns a tire store so the wheels would be my major cost.