JD2030

/ JD2030 #1  

hogheadCTD

Bronze Member
Tractor
70' John Deere 3020, 73' John Deere 2030 w/ JD 145 fel
I have a John Deere 2030 gas with a 145 loader on it. I bought the tractor this summer not running, it needed quite a bit of work. Every time I fire it up it rattles when first started and under load with a low idle. It goes away when throttled up. Is this normal?

I also have another issue, we rebuilt the old marvel schebler carb. When I have a full fuel tank the carb fills the air intake pipe full of fuel. I thought it was a float issue but after splitting the carb and filling the lower bowl with gas it seems to seep into the "throat" of the intake. Can these of casting get pourus? I dont see any cracks. Thanks

/ JD2030 #2  
Does your 2030 have a fuel solinoid mounted to the carb? Only allows fuel flow when the key is "ON"

/ JD2030 #3  
Is the needle and seat worn if it doesn't have the soliniod. What type of rattling is it. A trying to get up to speed or something loose. If you have a exhaust flapper it could be that rattling until the engine runs smooth.

/ JD2030 #4  
Do you mean the engine rattles , or rear end rattle at low rpm's .

/ JD2030 #5  
Sometimes you can get a rattle in the clutch area. The damper springs in the clutch or pressure plate get worn or loose and rattle at low rpm. When the engine speeds up, centrifugal force keeps them from rattling.
The vast majority of fuel leakage problems come from float valve leakage. Sometimes this is caused by dirt getting in the seat. If the tractor does not have an in-line filter in the fuel line, I would add one. That has cured many problems for me.

/ JD2030
Its a rattle from the clutch area. If its no big deal i think ill leave it alone.

/ JD2030
We figured out the carb bowl is cracked and leaks fuel into the throat. We rebuilt the carb this summer and had to jb weld a crack where the fuel line fitting enters the carb. I most likely going to buy a new zenith carb from yesterdays tractor for $290.

/ JD2030 #8  
I had a JD 2030 for years - had to sell recently because of trouble getting on it. Great tractor. I had one mechanical issue in 10 full years.

I ordered a new JD step for the tractor but sold it before the step arrived. Anyone interested in a new, unused step assembly?

/ JD2030
How much do you want for it?