Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #1  

Matt in Virginia

Bronze Member
Gentlemen,
I have been going back and forth between a John Deere 4520 Cab Tractor with 400X FEL and a Kubota 5740 with the LA854 FEL. I have been test driving these two tractor for two years(conservatively) and the time, December, for a purchase decision is at hand. A few tasks that the tractor will ultimately be called to perform:

Tasks:
1. John Deere 709 or MX-7 Brush Mower(or Bush Hog Equivalent). Low weekly acreage total(less than an a acre), however, significant initial cleanup with growing and sporadic brush mowing that could total 15 acres. Again low weekly totals at this point.

2. Farm driveway maintenance. Either a heavy box blade or an Industrial Grademaster with custom Cat 1 hitch(imatch on Deere). Driveway is excellent base, from 12" to 3' feet of milled aggregate. Put in with laser and 650 John Deere a couple of years back. Seems to be holding up well in heavily traveled areas.

3. Sporadic FEL work with likely upgrade to W.R. Long Grapple Bucket. Later addition of weight appropriate forklift tongs.

By and large this machine will largely lead a fairly sheltered life with longevity and absolute reliability being of prime importance.

The points that currently make a difference to me from my perspective. Which is going to be a one man machine...fwiw:

1. Indoor air quality. I have acute allergies/sinus and cab air filtration, especially in the summer, is paramount.
a. Having driven both machines in the field the Kubota has disappointed in this area. I've found myself in need of claritin and sudafed after short exposure.
b. The John Deere Pressurized Cab and High Efficiency Filtration has proven superior. With similar usage I wind up with minor added allergy inflammation.

2. The Deere is more comfortable FOR ME on the Hydro Ergonomics. The Kubota requires picking my foot/leg up while the Deere's seperate petals allow for a rested heal and forward and reverse with minor strain. Small thing but this is not a small purchase.

3. The Deere has the full Air Ride Seat pre-installed. I'm amazed by Paul Short and his 5740 improvements, however, I know my limitations.

4. I prefer the Deere FEL Joy Stick with the third function switch. Again Ergonomics.

5. John Deere Top and Tilt eliminate the headache of guessing what will work perfectly the first time on the 4th and 5th SCVs.

The reasons I am still impressed with the Kubota...

1. Dead tough build quality. It may be just a "look", however, the LA854 looks tougher than 400X. Not to mention the creaking the 400X displays under load.

2 Kubota INDUSTRIAL QUALITY Diesel. I am not cutting the Deere short, however, "Made in Japan" trumps "Made in Mexico" when it comes to small Diesels from my LIMITED experience. I have a 95 HP Deere that was built, and rebuilt, here by the best of the best. I just don't know about this new Powertech. I do like it's ability to provide power at 2400 RPM versus 2800. My 73' 4020 Diesel is 2100 as was our 4840 if memory serves. Granted the cab should make this a small issue.

3. Decline in Deere Quality on replacement parts and certain products. The Deere Gator comes to mind... Have a friend on a large equestrian operation who has begun to turn to Kubotas after he bought one of their Diesel UTVs with A/C and Hydraulic Dump. That unit exudes quality like a Full Size John Deere Row Crop Tractor(the $250,000 and up variety), Combines, and Dozers. If it were a UTV versus Gator issue this would be a non issue. This may be off topic, however, I'm going to buying one of these as well and the Kubota is the only one in the running. Would not mind having the same garish(kiddin) color orange on both items....;-).

All in all BOTH seem to be World Class items in their class. I wonder if I should take a Claritin and live with the Cab as opposed to necessitating a pressurized HEPA Chamber...:)

I would GREATLY appreciate your input on this issue. It's gotten to the point friends are ducking me for fear of the debate...(close but not quite).

Whoops, failed to mention a great Deere asset. I have a dealer who is a dream to work with and is saving me $6-8000 over local prices. The only issue is I have a long ride. That said he has entertained all the questions, and delays, without being anything short of a Gentleman. Have a Diesel F350 Lariat, a 10K Trailer, and professional driver/friend who has offered to make the trip with me on a few days notice. Just Diesel Fuel and Cracker Barrel...

Your thoughts?

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia
757-581-6270

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #2  
Went through the same process as you have, with less research, and also have allergies... Bought the Kubota due to outstanding local dealer. Otherwise these tractors are very close and you would be happy with either. Haven't found the hydro pedal issue a problem with the 5740; it's a light touch pedal and while you can "treadle" back and forth on the left side without moving your foot, it's more comfortable, to me, going forward using the right side. As long as your "gentleman JD dealer" is the one who is going to service your tractor, for me, I value the relationship more than the nits of the tractor. But if you are going to need a local JD dealer to work on your unit, who you didn't buy from, that would make me nervous. I get two day turnaround from my local Kubota dealer and am very satisfied with the Kubota. It's pretty light in the rear, and needs serious weight added back there, but the performance is very good and it seems to me the fuel usage is remarkably low. I run at 1800-2000 rpm not at pto speed, so not sure that will be an issue for you. btw, I bought the HD Long 72" grapple. Do NOT do that with the Kubota, get the lighter 66 one, and you will love it.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #3  
Spend lots of time going backwards in my 5240 and love the swivel seat. I to have allergys so much so I tested positive to 276 items and the cab works well for me. Having come out of a Deere 3520 cab much prefer the Kubota 5240. The quality is better in my opinion

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #4  
They are both darn good tractors.

But In my honest opinion, Id go with the deere. Because you KNOW the cab is better. The quaity, and reliability, I doubt you will ever have a problem with the deere. So you are just guessing/speculating there.

As to the loader creeking on the deere, thats just temporary. Its just telling you it needs grease. Once you do that, it will quiet down.

The kubota may indeed be a better fit/finish/quality, BUT that dont mean a thing if you are miserable operating it.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #5  
I wouldn't even consider a Deere or a Mahindra over a Kubota. Reason being, both the Deere dealer and the Mahindra dealer near me suck. Plenty of attitude at both of them. My Kubota dealer 11 miles away is great so I bought the Kubota. Then I went back and bought a mower and a disc. The most important thing when buying a name brand tractor is the dealer. If the Deere dealer is great to work with then that is the way to go. Also if you are more comfortable on the Deere then buy it. They are both quality machines and you won't go wrong with either one.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #6  
id go with the kubota hands down because of what it can do that the deere cant come close todoing.when i bought my tractor 2yrs ago i priced JD as well.an they told me todo what i wanted todo id have to get a bigger JD tractor.so i went with the kubota tractor that does everything i ask it to.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #7  
I was always under the assumption that these two tractors were virtually identical in capabilities? What can you do with your mighty kubota that you couldn't do on the Deere? I think the Deere is much more comfortable ergonomic wise.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #8  
I was always under the assumption that these two tractors were virtually identical in capabilities? What can you do with your mighty kubota that you couldn't do on the Deere? I think the Deere is much more comfortable ergonomic wise.[/QUOTwell my tractor is a mx5100 hst 4x4 with la844 quiicktatch loader.an it can lift an move 5 by 6 bales on the front an rear safely.the jd dealer said doing that would flip our tractor you need to really step up in hp.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #9  
I was always under the assumption that these two tractors were virtually identical in capabilities? What can you do with your mighty kubota that you couldn't do on the Deere? I think the Deere is much more comfortable ergonomic wise.[/QUOTwell my tractor is a mx5100 hst 4x4 with la844 quiicktatch loader.an it can lift an move 5 by 6 bales on the front an rear safely.the jd dealer said doing that would flip our tractor you need to really step up in hp.

Maybe JD the dealer didn't figure in loaded tires and Ballast Box when he said then tractor would tip over. If the load is within the rated capacity and with the right counterbalance, it shouldn't flip at all. More horsepower won't let you lift more if the frame and the drive-train is all the same and the hydraulics are rated the same. From what I can tell, a 4520 and a 4720 have the same ratings on that stuff.

/ Deere 4520 versus Kubota 5740... I am need of your thoughts and expertise. #10  
Even if money wasn't a factor, I'd most likely go with the Kubota (around here, the Deere would cost about $6000 more). The HST+ is a great feature that the Deere doesn't quite match and the L5740 as a whole seems more refined. I never got to sit in a cabbed version of the Deere (and I hear it is very nice), so I can't really speak to that feature. Besides, Deeres blend in with nature too much. Don't have time to try and find my tractor in the woods (or field) when I need it. You'll never loose an orange one!