John Deere 5203

/ John Deere 5203 #1  

Dickey

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5700, L245DT and Mahindra mpower 85
I recently bought 80 acres of mostly pasture land and the man I bought it from had three tractors two of which he has sold. He has a 5203 with 1400 hours on it he is asking 11000 for for it. It's two wheel drive and doesn't have a loader. Is that a good buy and is it big enough? I hope to find someone to cut the hay for the hay but from time to time I may need to bush hog it. I mostly bought the land for an investment and mabe hunt on it a little. I have a Kubota 5700 but I don't want to have to load and move it twenty miles every time it is needed.

Thanks Richard

/ John Deere 5203 #2  
It's plenty big enough for bush hogging with a 6 - 8' cutter, but 11 grand is a little steep. That's what I gave for mine with 200 hrs on it. I would be looking more at the $9500 range.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ John Deere 5203 #3  
It's plenty big enough for bush hogging with a 6 - 8' cutter, but 11 grand is a little steep. That's what I gave for mine with 200 hrs on it. I would be looking more at the $9500 range.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

x2

I just bought a nice 2wd 5203 with only 300hrs for $11K. What year is it? (green undercarriage or black?)

/ John Deere 5203
The under carriage is black

/ John Deere 5203 #5  
The under carriage is black

Then the newest it could be would be 2006. I'd shoot for $9-10K. They are good little tractors, I really like mine.

/ John Deere 5203 #6  
Here is a JD link that will help you determine the year. If you have not already been to tractordata here is a link to it for specs on the tractor. The last link is an online manual for the 5203.

Have you driven the tractor? This is from tractordata on the trasmission - Three speeds (1-3) plus reverse (R) in three ranges (A-C). Tractor must be stopped, and clutch used, before shifting speed or range. Standard on 2WD models.-

While I do not use my loader much, must admit I am glad I have it. To me if you have a loader you need MFWD. Something to consider.

Model Year of 5000 Series Tractors : What year was my 5000 series tractor built?

TractorData.com John Deere 5203 tractor information

John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment Search

/ John Deere 5203 #7  
Interesting...
"""Have you driven the tractor? This is from tractordata on the trasmission - Three speeds (1-3) plus reverse (R) in three ranges (A-C). Tractor must be stopped, and clutch used, before shifting speed or range. Standard on 2WD models.-"""

Last edited:
   / John Deere 5203 #8  
I've got a 2008 5103 and really like it. I too use it for general work around the ranch and have found that I can even use it with my round baler without any problems.
Good luck on your purchase.

/ John Deere 5203 #9  
just bought a 2004 5205 with the 521 loader and the 8 speed semi, I would think that the 53 turbo horse power would be enough for almost anything.

/ John Deere 5203 #10  
My uncle bought a 5203 with 450 hours 4wd no loader or cab I think 17000 u have to stop to shift nice tractor does pretty much anything only down side is you have to stop to shift