743 Bobcat - Water in oil

/ 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #1  

Vividus

Tractor
Bobcat 743
Just got a 743 Bobcat at a auction. 2800 hrs. Looked very clean and well cared for. Starter a little glitchy, but runs very strong, sounds great and good hydraulics. No exterior leaks on engine and looks clean. I have not run it other than getting it home. I then noticed the coolant was down so I filled, next thing I know I have oily/water mud coming out of the oil over flow and dip stick. :eek: So I know this probably means $$ and a bad head gacket, head or cracked block. Where should I start and how do I go about deteremining what it is? I am not that familar with Bobcats or diesals. Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
   / 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #2  
Expect a cracked head. This is an age old failure with lots of history, not just in this Bobcat or Kubota engine but in indrect injection engines in general. Engine cooling system overheats, for whatever reason, the engine gets shut off HOT then the coolant around the combustion chamber in the head starts boiling while the rest of the head starts to cool. Different cooling/contraction rate causes the head to crack.

/ 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #3  
If you plan to do the work yourself i would get a service and parts manual from dealer or ebay.Does it have a kubota diesel ? Sounds like a blown head gasket... hope for the best and expect the worst...

/ 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #4  
The best way to find a leaking cooling system is with a cooling system pressure tester. This pressureizes your cooling system the same way that the heat does. Where you hear the "pssssssss" noise, that'll be your leak.

If it's leaking that fast, I'm thinking that you'll be finding a bigger problem though. With some obvious internal issues, get a manual, and start taking some pieces off.

/ 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #5  
Expect a cracked head. This is an age old failure with lots of history, not just in this Bobcat or Kubota engine but in indrect injection engines in general. Engine cooling system overheats, for whatever reason, the engine gets shut off HOT then the coolant around the combustion chamber in the head starts boiling while the rest of the head starts to cool. Different cooling/contraction rate causes the head to crack.
I have the same problem, my question is : the water pump can be release water in to the engine?? Please help.

/ 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #6  
This thread is 9yrs old...either way put a coolant pressure tester on the rad and test it

/ 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #7  
Keep foolingcwith it and you'll bend a rod too. Drain the water out. You can run it to load or move it with no water for a minute. Take the head off and put another one on with gasket. Don't turn anything but the line at the pump. Hold the other part and take nut loose on the line itself. Right now you don't have to go in bottom end , just top end. For me always a head cracked. Never just a gasket.

/ 743 Bobcat - Water in oil #8  
I have the same problem, my question is : the water pump can be release water in to the engine?? Please help.

I think you are asking if there is any way a water pump could be causing water to get into the oil. The answer is probably not. When water pumps go bad they leak water externally. It is normal for the water pump to be connected to the cooling system in the block.

If you have water in the engine oil, expect to take the cylinder head off.
rScotty