3 Point Turbo Saw

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #1  

Rtwilson

Tractor
2 - 2004 Kubota 4330s
Has anyone had any experiance with a 3 point turbo saw made by DOUGHERTY FORESTRY MANUFACTURING LTD Co.
Turbo Saw - Tree and Brush Cutters for Tractors
tractorsaw.png

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #2  
Bought one last spring and it works just like the company video shows. I would recommend a tractor with an hst and even though they say as small as 25 hp if you want to cut trees up to 8 inches you will need at least 50 hp.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw
I have hst and 43 hp. Is 8 inches the biggest tree you have cut?

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #4  
I always wondered about these saws and have looked at the vids on Youtube quite a bit. On the videos, it mostly shows people cutting down very 'bushy' softwood trees. It seems these are easily grabbed by the grapple to skid away.

How does this saw work on larger hardwooods? Or even smaller hardwoods like 6"-8" diameter? I'm really interested in these as it is such a neat attachment, but I just can't see how much time it would save over cutting the trees down with a chainsaw?

It seems that the easiest part of clearing trees is cutting them down, the time consuming and difficult part is dealing with the trees once they're already down.

Have you found that using the Turbo Saw significantly reduced the time and effort to clear a large area? How well do the teeth hold up? Do you cut right at ground level?

How much use have you given your Turbo Saw? I really would love the chance to see one of these in action and even use one, as I think it could really be useful in the right conditions. I'm certainly interested in hearing more about how well you like yours, how it's performed according to your expectations, and what types/amounts of trees you have cleared with it.

Thanks for any more info you can give.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #5  
Rtwilson said:
I have hst and 43 hp. Is 8 inches the biggest tree you have cut?

Have cut down bigger trees by cutting on two or three sides of tree but 8-10 inch trees can be cut in one pass. One thing that limits the size of tree it can cut is the size of a tree at ground level is bigger than it is even a few inches up the trunk.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #6  
Piston said:
I always wondered about these saws and have looked at the vids on Youtube quite a bit. On the videos, it mostly shows people cutting down very 'bushy' softwood trees. It seems these are easily grabbed by the grapple to skid away.

How does this saw work on larger hardwooods? Or even smaller hardwoods like 6"-8" diameter? I'm really interested in these as it is such a neat attachment, but I just can't see how much time it would save over cutting the trees down with a chainsaw?

It seems that the easiest part of clearing trees is cutting them down, the time consuming and difficult part is dealing with the trees once they're already down.

Have you found that using the Turbo Saw significantly reduced the time and effort to clear a large area? How well do the teeth hold up? Do you cut right at ground level?

How much use have you given your Turbo Saw? I really would love the chance to see one of these in action and even use one, as I think it could really be useful in the right conditions. I'm certainly interested in hearing more about how well you like yours, how it's performed according to your expectations, and what types/amounts of trees you have cleared with it.

Thanks for any more info you can give.

Have only used the saw about 10 hours so can't say on how long the teeth will last. The only trees I have used it on were hedge, elm and mulberry. The main reason I got it was to be able to remove a tree and not have a stump left and the fact that I have would be able to use it on a tractor that I already needed. So far it has done what I expected but haven't had the time to really get to use it as much as I need to to give a real good opinion.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #7  
Thanks for the quick reply. If you end up giving it a good workout sometime please keep us posted. LIke I said before, I'm also really interested in the capabilities of something liket his. I imagine HST is a helpful feature with an implement like this.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #8  
Piston said:
Thanks for the quick reply. If you end up giving it a good workout sometime please keep us posted. LIke I said before, I'm also really interested in the capabilities of something liket his. I imagine HST is a helpful feature with an implement like this.

Yes being able to slowly move through the tree is a plus for hst, would be hard on a tractor with a clutch.
Hope to be able to get to use it this winter, eventhough the saw has a grapple I still plan on getting a grapple for my 5740 kubota, just haven't decided on which one.
Be more than happy to report back on the saw and may try to get some pictures of it in action.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw
I'm looking at these saws and some quick tach shears, but im thinking the 3 point sounds nice because I can run my grapple at the same time without having to change attachments, like I would with a front shear. Also I'm thinking my tractor might not have the power for a skid loader style shear.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #10  
I was wondering how you keep the tree from falling on your head?