Real world experience with dr rapid fire?

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #1  

dbaer78

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota mx5100hst
Anyone have any experience with a dr rapid fire splitter? My father in law and I are considering purchasing one but I'd really like some feedback from some folks who have some time on one.

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #2  
Go over to Arboristsite.com and look in the firewood subforum. There is a billion-page thread on them... A few, actually.

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire?
dstig1 said:
Go over to Arboristsite.com and look in the firewood subforum. There is a billion-page thread on them... A few, actually.

Thanks. I'll be sure and check that out.

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #4  
I have seen the Speeco version of the RF at TSC. Just my opinion, but it seems that unless 2 people are working together you really don't save time. Don't like the fact that you can't split vertically. Even with 2 lifting, would not want to heft a lunker up on the table.

Natureboy said:
I have seen the Speeco version of the RF at TSC. Just my opinion, but it seems that unless 2 people are working together you really don't save time. Don't like the fact that you can't split vertically. Even with 2 lifting, would not want to heft a lunker up on the table.

I built a log lift for my current splitter and would probably do the same for the RF. I do feel tho that the RF is definitely better suited to blocks 14" and down. From what little I've read on them you kinda fight anything bigger. Still curious if anyone has anytime on one.

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #6  
I just bought a Rapidfire and have run about 4 cord through it. It is simple, the machine is unbelievable! You do loose on the vertical splitting, but the rewards far outweigh any drawbacks. If you own a tractor with a bucket (as most do on this site), simply roll the chunkers into the bucket & bring them up close to the splitter table & then roll them on. Once ther're there, it WILL split it. If you're splitting a lot of big stuff, keep one big piece stood up next to the splitter. You will need a place to put one half while riping up the other. My logs have been roughly 20" Beech & Rock Maple, with plenty of knots. a good test for any splitter. My smaller stuff goes through faster than someone on the other end could pile it. I've used hydraulic splitters, but have never owned one because I could split by hand so much faster. Not the case with the Rapidfire.

memman said:
I just bought a Rapidfire and have run about 4 cord through it. It is simple, the machine is unbelievable! You do loose on the vertical splitting, but the rewards far outweigh any drawbacks. If you own a tractor with a bucket (as most do on this site), simply roll the chunkers into the bucket & bring them up close to the splitter table & then roll them on. Once ther're there, it WILL split it. If you're splitting a lot of big stuff, keep one big piece stood up next to the splitter. You will need a place to put one half while riping up the other. My logs have been roughly 20" Beech & Rock Maple, with plenty of knots. a good test for any splitter. My smaller stuff goes through faster than someone on the other end could pile it. I've used hydraulic splitters, but have never owned one because I could split by hand so much faster. Not the case with the Rapidfire.

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you split the same kinda stuff I get into. I'd love to have one but im in the midst of trying to find a new bush hog. I'm hoping my father in law will give in soon and buy one. He's been wanting one for awhile as well. I just love the speed of those things!!

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #8  
Thanks for the report! Sounds like you split the same kinda stuff I get into. I'd love to have one but im in the midst of trying to find a new bush hog. I'm hoping my father in law will give in soon and buy one. He's been wanting one for awhile as well. I just love the speed of those things!!

I aslo appreciate the report. I watched their 2-part video demonstration and was disappointed with the "split hard stuff part". What he split was not "hard stuff by any means". I was wondering if he was faking because it wouldn't show too well on a really knotty chunk.

Harry K

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #9  
If you go to Youtube and watch some of the consumer posted videos, there are some that show some tough stuff. There's one of a guy splitting without the table that has some pretty knotty pieces. Also, it will convince you to buy the table attachment.
As I posted before, I've split a lot by hand, so I whacked a couple of my big pieces & it was taking 12-13 hits by hand to just open them up. The splitter did it in 1 or 2.
I'm from Vermont where DR is manufactured & their quality is well known in the northeast.

/ Real world experience with dr rapid fire? #10  
If you go to Youtube and watch some of the consumer posted videos, there are some that show some tough stuff. There's one of a guy splitting without the table that has some pretty knotty pieces. Also, it will convince you to buy the table attachment.
As I posted before, I've split a lot by hand, so I whacked a couple of my big pieces & it was taking 12-13 hits by hand to just open them up. The splitter did it in 1 or 2.
I'm from Vermont where DR is manufactured & their quality is well known in the northeast.