Adjusting the receiver

/ Adjusting the receiver #1  

Tractorganic

Silver Member
Tractor
NH/TC40D SS; BCS 850, Brush Mower, Sulky, 'Tiller, Chipper, Snow Blower; JD X570-48-A
The ball won't fit in my trailer receiver. There's a nut on a short adjustable flange in the receiver. Lying on your back and looking up which way do you turn the nut to loosen the flange so the ball will fit in?

/ Adjusting the receiver #3  
You sure there both the same size ?

Seems odd you'd have to adjust for this 1 ball.

/ Adjusting the receiver #4  
Like the guys said, make sure everything is the same size. If it is back the nut off 1/2 turn at a time counter clockwise.

Chris

/ Adjusting the receiver #5  
It could just be rusty if it hasn't been used for a while. One of my trailers has a 2" ball and I can unlatch it but it won't open all of the way without kinda "jiggling" it. If I lower it on the ball without it opening all of the way, it won't go over it and I have to jack it back up a little and get it opened up.

/ Adjusting the receiver
The ball and the coupler are 1 7/8" and have fit before. No rust and thoroughly sprayed with lube. I have a hard time getting down on the ground and back up again to try backing off the nut then getting up on the tractor for a fit test. I backed off awhile ago to no avail so I'll try tightening next, then I'll unhitch the ball frame, work it with my left hand, tighten with my right and see how she goes. I pretty much just want to know which way to wrench it if anyone has experience. I'll certainly report back with results.
Thanks, Chris

/ Adjusting the receiver #7  
The ball and the coupler are 1 7/8" and have fit before. No rust and thoroughly sprayed with lube. I have a hard time getting down on the ground and back up again to try backing off the nut then getting up on the tractor for a fit test. I backed off awhile ago to no avail so I'll try tightening next, then I'll unhitch the ball frame, work it with my left hand, tighten with my right and see how she goes. I pretty much just want to know which way to wrench it if anyone has experience. I'll certainly report back with results.
Thanks, Chris

First off do yourself a favor and throw out everything you have with 1 7/8" ball. I would have suggested it earlier if I would have know we were talking about 1 7/8" stuff. I for the life of me can not understand why the still make them? A new bolt on 2" coupler for your trailer is only $12 or so. First thing I do when ever I am messing with anything with a 1 7/8" coupler is swap it out. This way I only have to fool with 2" and 2 5/16" balls. It just makes life easier.

We have done this to a log splitter, a little 1,500# utility trailer, and to about 30 or more Jet Ski trailers here at my shop. Most we bolt on by just drilling the holes but other we weld on. Just measure the trailer first. Some are 2 1/2" and some are 3"

Its not worth the time, money, and your health trying to fool with that POS!

Chris

/ Adjusting the receiver #8  
Thanks, Chris
Sounds like an Atwood coupler, check the link...might help.
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/atwood_jacks.pdf