Oops!

/ Oops! #1  

mikehaugen

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 1070
So, I was carrying insulation into the attic yesterday to get ready to install it over the little bit that is there and in the process I managed to put a skylight into the attic between the kitchen and living room. :laughing: The problem is, it is that textured ceiling paint so when I patch the hole I have to do something different. The kitchen/ living room are connected so repainting means having to do both rooms and I am not up to doing that right now, I have a lot of projects right now.

Whoever taped the ceiling in here didn't do a very good job as you can see tape lines even through the textured ceiling and I have been wanting to correct that for a while now, just not right now. Has anyone been successful at patching/ matching this paint? Otherwise I think it will just stay with a drywall patch for a while until I get the ambition to re-tape and paint both rooms.

/ Oops! #2  
I hate, hate, hate textured ceiling for exactly this reason. It is an absolute pain in the butt if you ever have to patch it.

/ Oops! #3  
I am regularly asked to repair, and match textured ceilings.

I have a pretty good track record, and have managed to do some undetectable repairs. Including occasionally matching the color well enough to avoid completely repainting a ceiling. But, I do not guarantee results.

You really don't know what you have for sure, until it's all done.

For me it's about 80% skill and 20% luck.

/ Oops! #4  
I have patched a textured ceiling in a kitchen that was water damaged from a leaky skylight. Put in new sheet rock, applied texture paint with a 4" stiff brush. Once it dried I repainted with ceiling white paint and it matched pretty well. It just takes a little time and practice as mentioned.