shifts fine -won't move

/ shifts fine -won't move #1  

ejm15

Tractor
kubota mx 5100
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting but I have been a member for a while now. Anyway, I recently bought a belarus 400an for $800. I am Familiar with these as I owned one of the same model and when I bought this one I figured I could fix it. It runs like a charm but wont move. The man I bought it from said it was stuck in gear but he realigned the selectors, so it shifted fine but will not move in gear. When I put it in gear it does not do anything - in foward or reverse. I have not hooked up the pto but it turns fine and seems to have strength. I am open to any thoughts. thanks

/ shifts fine -won't move #2  
Does it have a shuttle to shift between forward and reverse? If so, I would look at that first.
Sounds like removing the transmission top plate to access the business end of the shift levers may be needed.

Some pictures of the shifters and the whole operators area would probbaly help.

Aaron Z

/ shifts fine -won't move
Thanks Briana03 for moving this thread to the right place :). My first thread and I’ve already embarrassed myself:ashamed: . Back to what aczlan asked. It does have a shuttle shift but I know thats it’s in gear and I can feel it engage. I also have already taken a look at the "business end" of the shift lever and it looked fine. Personally I’m wondering if its the clutch, it does have 1800 hours on it and it did a lot of loader work (and consequently a lot of shifting). I’m going to do some more investigation later this week but thought it wise to see what everyone at tbn had to say.:)

/ shifts fine -won't move #5  
On the bigger, water cooled Belarus, it is easy to get the high/low range stuck into neither. Go make sure the shifter is fully engaging the gear.
On the air cooled Belarus, there is a pin that has been known to slip out in the rear of the trans that renders you immobile.

/ shifts fine -won't move #6  
I have the Belarus 250as and I was working with it moving dirt on my property. It was working fine until I took a break, turned it off. Once I started it back up put it in forward gear it would not move in forward or reverse. Do you think this pin in the rear of the trans could be the problem with my tractor? How do you inspect this pin for damage

Well, I probably should've posted this up after I found the problem. After tearing down the trans I discovered that between the right side wheel and transmission there is what I would call a type of torque converter. Anyhow it is held together by three springs which had broke and caused the problem of it not moving when in gear because the side near the trans would spin and the side connected to the wheel would not. It's like two plates which had a screw like structure inside it with ball bearings between it and the outer sides... When too much torque is put on the drive shaft it twists the plates which turns the "screw" which, if pulled far apart enough will snap the springs. I hope this makes sense, it's kinda hard to explain... I might be able to post up a pic later.

OK, I have never posted up pics yet so I hope this works.

Photo0729.jpg

This is a pic of the general area where the part is located...

and here is the part when I took it off the tractor and had it on the work bench.

Photo0810.jpg

You can see the two "plates" and the "screw" part... The ball bearings are set inside the further plate, and then of course the housing is on the left.

Hope this helps bud.:thumbsup:

OK, I have never posted up pics yet so I hope this works.

View attachment 367580

This is a pic of the general area where the part is located...

and here is the part when I took it off the tractor and had it on the work bench.

View attachment 367581

You can see the two "plates" and the "screw" part... The ball bearings are set inside the further plate, and then of course the housing is on the left.

Hope this helps bud.:thumbsup:

Well, it looks like the pictures all came out good. I was a little skeptical as to weather or not they would come out. :rolleyes: