The best Radiator Cooling system flush??

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #1  

skytracker

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
What do you guys think the best radiator/cooling system flush is??
This tractor sat for quite some time before this and has been up and running only the last month or so.

i would like to get all the crud possible out and clear.

I have been having overheat issues with my Ford 3000 gas tractor and systematically fixing everything related.
I need to have this running good now, then if needed later on I can pull the radiator to have repaired/baked/cleaned etc...

It seems to have decent flow but it builds alot of pressure on the suction side and was collapsing the lower hose. Replaced with a reinforced one.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #2  
I bought a bottle of the prestone "radiator flush" because I was going to use it on my '03 impala because the wife bought and put green anti-freeze into the dex-cool not knowing any better!:eek: I happened to read in the service manual not to use any kind of chemical flush. Not sure if it is a GM thing or what with the dexcool or what. It was summer so I flushed with water then filled with distilled and ran for about a month, then flushed and refilled with distilled... and did this about 3 times before winter. Still have a couple bottles of it and am afraid to use it on anything without more research. I think the fear is that it will be bad for the seals/ gaskets.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush??
I did something similar on the tractor. Flushed with a hose then filled with distilled and coolant mix.
But I am still having gradual overtemp issues.
I was wondering if there might be something others have had good experience with that may be better and not
hurt the system on a 40 year old tractor.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #4  
The best flush is take the radiator to a radiator shop, and let them boil it out. :thumbsup:

They will also pressure test it when they are done, and put a new coat of paint on it.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #5  
The best flush is take the radiator to a radiator shop, and let them boil it out. :thumbsup:

They will also pressure test it when they are done, and put a new coat of paint on it.

I agree, take it to a radiator shop

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #6  
ray66v said:

Agree with this as it may be way more than fluid if the radiator is 40 years old. It could be flushed and almost new. You will be impressed. They will also confirm that the radiator is in good working condition which will be nice to know.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #7  
i'd run a gallon or 2 of vinegar thru it.. then some prestone flusgh.. see what happens... less than 10$ invested..

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #8  
i'd run a gallon or 2 of vinegar thru it.. then some prestone flusgh.. see what happens... less than 10$ invested..

^^^^^^^ me too.

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush??
I will definitely try the vinegar and then the prestone. I plan on pulling the radiator but right now I need to get some work done before we have much snow on the ground up here in the North.
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

John

/ The best Radiator Cooling system flush?? #10  

I drained the radiator on my 1949 JD B. The coolant looks pretty good, but I want to flush the system anyway. The user manual recommends 1 lb of washing soda (sodium carbonate) per gallon of water to flush. Anyone out there tried this? Results? Problems?

BTW: had a heck of a time getting the coolant drain plug removed (rusted and apparently tighted by a lowland gorilla the last time the system was serviced:cool:). Finally got it off with my impact wrench and 29 mm socket. Found stainless steel plugs the same size for about $5 each. That should help with the rust problem.